It is my great pleasure to announce that we have released Sitefinity 3.6 and made it available for the immediate download from your Client.net accounts. Actually, the "immediate" part may not be correct, because due to the hosting procedures it may take an hour or so for the files to become visible.
We would like to thank you all for the support and understanding regarding the delays and we are convinced that the wait period will pay off. The release notes for the official release are at the bottom of this post. In the days to come we will be publishing the samples of the new backend implemenations, while we expect to update the developer manual in about ten days with the new materials. The sample contacts and products module will be provided with the new backend implementation as well.
Let us know if you run into problems or have questions regarding the new implementations.
- Control templates are embedded into the module assemblies using a new template parser. This is done for all modules except Forums and Newsletters.
New Backend Framework
- There is a new backend framework for rapid development of custom modules and simpler process of extending built-in modules. It was implemented for all modules but Forums and Newsletters.
Client Side Data Binding on the Backend
- Generic Content module grid for displaying content items has been modified to use very fast and responsive client side databinding. It was provided for all Generic Content based grids.
- Added ability to use dynamics links in editors of all Generic Content based modules and Generic Content control. This feature provides link integrity when the URL of a page or a document changes.
Caching Substitution Controls
- Base classes for implementing cache-dependent controls. These base classes allow controls ability to be dynamic even when on a cached page.
- With this new feature it is possible to implement hierarchy on categories, where one category can be a parent to one or more child categories. When browsing by categories, users will see all content categorized in the given category or one of its child categories.
- The default Page properties can be set through the web.config file
- ViewState can be disabled per Page in section Page Options
- Page Sliding expiration cache property was implemented, with Page cache duration time option
Images and Documents Module
- Implemented Video Library Support using RadMediaPlayer for Silverlight (Included in Sitefinity v.3.6 on .NET 3.5 only.)
- Implemented data provider for Video Libraries using Amazon S3 and Viddler for data storage and streaming.
- RadControls ASP.NET AJAX were updated to Q3 2008 SP2 release.
- RadControls for Silverlight Q3 2008 SP2 were included (Included in Sitefinity v.3.6 on .NET 3.5 only.)
-  Fixed problem with Share this content link not working content on the Generic Content control
-  Fixed problem with Tags not working for Custom providers of Generic Content
-  Fixed problem with ContentView control displaying Events when no provider is set for it and there is an EventsView control on the same page
-  Fixed problem with redirects when an extension different than that of the original page is inserted under Page URLs
- Implemented extensionless URLs and “404 Not Found” improvements
-  Fixed issue with a tag added for a library item applying to all items in the library
-  Fixed incorrect date Created showing under the History tab of a Page
-  Enabled Tag List control for libraries
-  Fixed the incorrect behavior of the ImageGallery control when One per page option is selected
-  Fixed issue with two ImageGallery controls on a page not working when the ContentItemKeyPersistance property of both is set to Cookie
-  Fixed problem with two ImageGallery controls on one page not working when the ContentItemKeyPersistance is set to Cookie
-  Fixed problem with missing file extension when using the “Save File" option of the DownloadList control under Firefox
-  Fixed problem with BloggersList control not showing correct blog posts count when Multilingual support is enabled
-  Enabled support for LiveWriter posting under Medium Trust
-  Fixed problem with Comments not filtered correctly per Blog in administration
- ·  Fixed problem with EventSchedule control not redirecting to the page selected under the SingleEventUrl property
-  Displayed proper validation message for Event start and Event end fields
-  Fixed problem with unsubscribing the incorrect user from the search results returned upon searching for newsletter subscribers
- Fixed problem with the Dynamic Web Services URL resolving
-  Fixed problem with the Expand All link not working on the List control when there are more than 10 items, and the Expandable Lists option is selected
Content View Controls (NewsView/EventsView /BlogPosts )
-  Fixed incorrect behavior of filtering by category
-  Fixed error showing when creating a Search index with a an index name which already exists
-  Fixed errors upon searching for text containing special symbols
- Fixed error with more than one sequence of “…” symbols are applied consequently
Medium Trust Support
-  Changes made in Page Edit mode to ContentView controls are not refreshed automatically
-  Fixed problem with page permissions not applied correctly when Workflow is On
-  Fixed problem with broken Rollback link under the History tab of a Page
- Fixed issue with NewsView control not showing proper items after Workflow is disabled
- Fixed issue with object owners and approve/publish permission.
- Fixed issue with preview for content items waiting for Approval.
- Fixed issue with TelerikADProvider when the User SAM account name is missing