+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / 5.3 Cannot create content items after migrating to new server

5.3 Cannot create content items after migrating to new server

5 posts, 0 answered
  1. Gianluca
    Gianluca avatar
    9 posts
    Registered:
    04 Oct 2012
    26 Jan 2013
    Link to this post

    Hi all,

       We built an application in Sitefinity 5.3 for a client and are having serious issues after they set up the project on their servers. We have a custom module we built with the module builder and we also added custom fields to the blog posts module. Now we cannot create either of these items on their staging environment. On the rare occasion that a post gets created, it returns us to the admin section and the post is locked immediately and cannot be edited. We added custom fields to the Blog Posts module and have a feeling that might be breaking something somewhere. IF anyone could please let me know if they have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. 


    Thanks,

    Gianluca Balzano

  2. Stephen2
    Stephen2 avatar
    94 posts
    Registered:
    05 Feb 2012
    26 Jan 2013 in reply to Gianluca
    Link to this post

    Check to ensure all the config files in "App_Data\Sitefinity\Configuration" were pushed from Dev to Staging.

    When new Config files are created by Sitefinity in Dev, they are not automatically added to the Visual Studio project.  This causes them to not be included on a Visual Studio "Publish" and can cause issues like described.

  3. Gianluca
    Gianluca avatar
    9 posts
    Registered:
    04 Oct 2012
    26 Jan 2013 in reply to Stephen2
    Link to this post
    Hi Stephen2,
        Thank you for the response. I had thought that could have been an issue as well, but I included the whole Sitefinity -> Configuration folder. Attached is a screenshot of the config files that I have included in the project. Is there any way that some connection string somewhere is pointed to the wrong spot? I'm also having issues with our user controls. Every time I drag them on a page I get the folowwing error message: 
        "id cannot be an empty guid"

    Thanks you very much for your assistance Stephen2.

    Gianluca Balzano

           
  4. Gianluca
    Gianluca avatar
    9 posts
    Registered:
    04 Oct 2012
    26 Jan 2013
    Link to this post

    Resolved.

     It turns out that with the Staging and Syncing module, along with possible differences in databases. may have caused an issue. Somehow content item specs were changed and then we synced, and that's when everything started blowing up. I sent the client a backup of our working database and had them restore it, and that resolved our issue. Thanks everyone.


    Gianluca Balzano

  5. Stephen2
    Stephen2 avatar
    94 posts
    Registered:
    05 Feb 2012
    26 Jan 2013
    Link to this post
    Glad it worked out for you Gianluca :)
5 posts, 0 answered