+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / Add second language to Dynamic Content from edit form and get 404 on front end

Add second language to Dynamic Content from edit form and get 404 on front end

1 posts, 0 answered
  1. Trevor
    Trevor avatar
    35 posts
    Registered:
    28 Jan 2012
    27 Sep
    Link to this post

    Sitefinity version 9.1.6110.0

    This is a little complicated to reproduce, but I've got this happening consistently now:

    1) Create content type in Module Builder

    2) Create a content item of this type.

    3) Place a list control of the custom content into a page, with "auto generated page" settings. Make sure the page has a translation in the second language with the same list control, also wit "auto generated page" option.

     

    Now, everything works so far. The content item we created appears in the list, and it gets a nice URL as expected with the auto-generated page.

     

    4) Go to Sitefinity -> Content -> Your type

    5) Click on the greyed out, circular, round, blue language code link in the table view of your content items to create a new translation for your item (in the TRANSLATIONS column)

    6) Enter the new translation and click "Publish"

     

    Everything is still 100% FINE. All is working. You can navigate between languages, and see your item in the list widget, and get a nicely generated URL for both languages.

     

    Now..

    Let's say you do the following steps INSTEAD OF of 4-6 above. The timing DOES matter. This only happens on new content items that are not already translated. So let's say I did this instead of 4-6 above:

    4) Go to Sitefinity -> Content -> Your type
    5) Click on the Title of your existing content item, to edit the current language version.
    6) On the dynamic content Edit form, there's a link next to "Other translations:" at the top of the form. Next to this there is another round, blue link. This blue link is greyed out because no second translation exists yet. It says "Add" next to the blue circular language code link. Click this "Add" link.

     

    7) Enter your translated content, click Publish.

     

    Now we're redirected back to the table view of your content type. In this table, you'll see that the default language item in the list is "LOCKED." This is because between steps 6 above, we navigated away from editing the content item to translate, and the item's workflow state never left the LOCKED state. When I clicked Publish in 7 above, I only published the translation, not the default item, so the default language item is still LOCKED.

    Now...

    Everything on the front end is still OK. We see our original item in the list in both languages, and we see the auto-generated page for both languages.

    NOW, the bug..

    Try to publish that default language item that is in the locked state. Either click the title to bring up the edit form, and go down to click publish, or use the bulk management checkbox to select this item, and the bulk action PUBLISH.

    Now, we see that our default language item is published, and not LOCKED. The translation appears to be in place in the back end.

    Go to your front end list. You'll see the item in the list in both languages. However, the "auto-generated page" now gives you a 404 in the second language.

    If you go to the list page in the second language, you'll see your item. Click it, and get a 404.

    If you go to the list page in the primary language, you'll see your item. Click it, and get the default language auto-generated page. Switch over to the second language, and you'll get a 404.

    Once your content is in this state, it cannot be fixed.

     

     

1 posts, 0 answered