+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / Backend content editing requires page refresh

Backend content editing requires page refresh

13 posts, 1 answered
  1. Dawid
    Dawid avatar
    15 posts
    Registered:
    30 Jan 2012
    07 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    Hi,

    I've recently upgraded a sitefinity site from 4.2 to 4.4.  Everything seems to have gone smoothly except for one small issue :

    When you go to edit the content of a page in the back-end, the "publish", "save as draft" and "preview" buttons don't show up when the page first loads.  The site obviously thinks the page is not locked for editing because you can't move anything around or click on any edit button.  Pressing F5 to refresh the page causes the buttons to show up and the editing to become available.

    Has anyone else experienced this?
  2. Jen Peleva
    Jen Peleva avatar
    568 posts
    Registered:
    10 Nov 2016
    09 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    Hello David,

    This behavior is most probably caused by some JavaScript that is conflicting the scripts of our page editor. It might be on a master page, on which your template is based or in a javaScript widget. Also, if you tell us what JavaScript errors appear in the NET tab of your browser we will be able to investigate the problem further.

    Greetings,
    Jen Peleva
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Markus
    Markus avatar
    2763 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2005
    09 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    Dear Dawid
    I had this kind of behavoir a couple of times after my FF upgraded to version 10.
    Are you using FF 10 by any chance and do you get the same problem in IE or Chrome.

    Markus
  4. Dawid
    Dawid avatar
    15 posts
    Registered:
    30 Jan 2012
    09 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    Hi guys, thanks for the responses.

    To start off, it happens in all browsers that I've tested, IE8 + 9, Latest FF & Chrome on multiple machines.  So I'm guessing it's not a browser issue.

    In terms of some custom javascript causing the problem, I'm going to say unlikely because :

    1 . It doesn't happen every single time.  About 80% in tests trying to edit the same page over and over.  
    2. There are no javascript errors that I can find in either IE9's or Chrome's development consoles

    I might be wrong, since the site was inherited, it's been upgraded from 4.2 (was working without problems) to 4.4 (so I'm not sure if the same version of jquery is used for example etc), but I don't think so.

    I have noticed something about the speed though.  If the editing page loads in a reasonable amount of time, it seems it works fine.  Most times it's taking a while longer to load and then it happens.  I've checked that all the files get loaded (all 200 responses), I've profiled the site in VS to check if there are any abnormally long function calls (none that I could find) and of course I've checked for javascript errors.

    Luckily, it's not a big issue for us so I'm actually going to let it rest now - the tiny inconvenience isn't really worth spending more time on for now, but thanks for the replies.
  5. Andrew
    Andrew avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    22 Jul 2011
    16 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Has a fix been found?  We are running into the same issue.
  6. Andrew
    Andrew avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    22 Jul 2011
    16 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Has a fix been found?  We are running into the same issue.
  7. Markus
    Markus avatar
    2763 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2005
    17 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Do you have your own .master pages?

    If yes do you have a contentblock in the head tag or a radscriptmanager in the .mater?

    Markus
  8. Andrew
    Andrew avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    22 Jul 2011
    19 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Yes, we are using .master pages and, yes, we have a RadScriptManager in the .master page.
  9. Markus
    Markus avatar
    2763 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2005
    19 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Dear Andrew

    Try the following (at your own risk, backups and so on ....)=
    1) if you have a contentblock in the head remove it. Upload master restart see if it works
    2) replace the RadScriptManager with default ScriptManager. Upload master restart see if it works
    3) remove the ScriptManager at all (If you don't need it). Upload master restart see if it works.

    Greatings
    Markus
  10. Andrew
    Andrew avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    22 Jul 2011
    19 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Removing the RadScriptManger worked.  Thank you again for your help.
  11. Markus
    Markus avatar
    2763 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2005
    19 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Dear Andrew
    Glad it works now.
    Markus
  12. Dawid
    Dawid avatar
    15 posts
    Registered:
    30 Jan 2012
    27 Mar 2013
    Link to this post
    This is a bit long ago, but eventually the answer turned out to be SSL.  We could never get Sitefinity backend to work using SSL - there were lot's of different problems, the solution was to run the backend (apart from login) on normal http.  Hope that helps someone.
    Answered
  13. Sarthak
    Sarthak avatar
    4 posts
    Registered:
    03 Jul 2014
    30 Dec 2014
    Link to this post

    Even i faced the same issue for one of my project. It happens when there is an error in java scripts.

    I suggest you to check all the paths of the j queries you have used in project. 

13 posts, 1 answered