I just came across this same issue on a client's website and using this thread as a basis i came up with the following solution:
- Create a new page, using the existing page as a parent
- Set this new page to have a title indicating that it's a single item (e.g. if dealing with FAQs, call the new page FAQ)
- Set the page to not show in navigation, don't allow site search to index this page, don't allow external search engines to index this page
- Add the list to the new page, setting the list type to "Page list (open each item in separate page)"
- Edit the single item template, including a link back to the existing page which displays all list items (or alternatively utilise a breadcrumb control)
This method will allow your list items to appear in search results with a link directly to the information the searcher was looking for and the ability to link back to see the information in context.