+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / New bug: Admin controls missing when new user added

New bug: Admin controls missing when new user added

7 posts, 0 answered
  1. Josh
    Josh avatar
    4 posts
    Registered:
    18 Dec 2013
    18 Dec 2013
    Link to this post
    Hi all, I'm a very new admin (previously developing .net web apps with no CMS).  My user credentials were added and (possibly coincidentally) at that time, we lost the ability to publish or edit on our pages via the web interface to Sitefinity Backend...
    - The admin tool bar at the top is missing (no publish button, no other buttons).
    - Clicking on the Edit controls (pencil icon) for each pane nothing happens.
    - The links don't respond to being clicked anywhere.
    - I can't use any of the drag/drop panels on the right.

    Any help would be appreciated: I can gather any info needed...
  2. Atanas Valchev
    Atanas Valchev avatar
    414 posts
    Registered:
    04 Jan 2016
    23 Dec 2013
    Link to this post
    Hello,

    This behavior can be caused if there is a javascript error on the page. You can verify this by opening chrome developer tools with F12 and checking the console for any errors. If there is such error, you will need to identify where the conflict occurs. You can start by creating a brand new page without a template and checking if the behavior is not present there. After that you can create a duplicate of the problematic page and start checking the master page and page templates for any scripts that can cause the issue.

    Regards,
    Atanas Valchev
    Telerik
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Josh
    Josh avatar
    4 posts
    Registered:
    18 Dec 2013
    26 Dec 2013
    Link to this post
    Thank you for posting back on this issue!

    It looks like a Telerik Web UI component is throwing a Java error: See attached screenshot.
    - Any idea?  This is in Chrome, but the same happens in Firefox and IE.
  4. Josh
    Josh avatar
    4 posts
    Registered:
    18 Dec 2013
    07 Jan 2014
    Link to this post
    *bump* Just looking for any kind of input, now that the holidays are over...
  5. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    Registered:
    03 Dec 2008
    07 Jan 2014 in reply to Josh
    Link to this post
    Do you mind loading firefox and firebug and screenshotting the console tab?
  6. Josh
    Josh avatar
    4 posts
    Registered:
    18 Dec 2013
    08 Jan 2014
    Link to this post
    Steve, we actually went ahead and opened up a ticket: I'll post results and how we got there, once we get up and running!
  7. Joshua
    Joshua avatar
    1 posts
    Registered:
    07 Jan 2014
    10 Jan 2014
    Link to this post
    OK; looks like jQuery was encountering the jQuery library reference used for Sitefinity and causing it to fail impressively.

    When we removed our reference to jQuery 1.7.2 in the BaseTemplate Master Page and replaced it with the following, all our controls are back and functional:
     <sf:ResourceLinks ID="resourcesLinks" runat="server">
                <sf:ResourceFile JavaScriptLibrary="JQuery" />
            </sf:ResourceLinks>

    Looks like we're now hitching a ride on the Sitefinity jQuery lib.  I'm guessing the timing was coincidence, as this should have nothing to do with the new users.

    Thank you all for the help!
    -Josh
7 posts, 0 answered