Random 404 on Images

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 10:56

Random 404 on Images

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi,

We have a little module, which logs all 404 errors happening on our site and everyday I see a couple 404 on working images logged.
I never could reproduce, but still, I regularly see such errors in the logs: at least once a day, one of our images won't be found and served to a end-user.

Here's a sample link which threw a 404 earlier today: http://www.softfluent.com/images/pictures/office_small.png
And another one which threw a 404 yesterday: http://www.softfluent.com/images/screenshots/codefluent-entities.png

We're running Sitefinity 4.2, and I was wondering if you have ever heard of this problem?

Regards,
Carl

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Carl,

The 404 could be thrown by different means, but to better determine it is best if you can show me an error log for the 404 that will contain more specific information. Maybe when the error was thrown the image was unpublished, the library edited or url was changed and at that time there was a request to already cached content that pointed to the already updated image url or other property.
Another cause is if the error in the log files (App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs) "the remote host has closed the connection" this means the user has closed the browser after requesting the image.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi,

We are absolutely sure:
 - The image wasn't unpublished, moved, changed edited in anyway at the time the error was raised,
 - The library wasn't changed, moved, edited etc.

No error logs matching the 404.
Here's all the information I have:

APPL_MD_PATH

/LM/W3SVC/15/ROOT

APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH

D:\WebHosting\SoftFluent\WebSite SoftFluent\SiteFinity_Wwwroot\SoftFluent\

AUTH_TYPE

Sitefinity

AUTH_USER

**** removed ****

AUTH_PASSWORD

**** removed ****

LOGON_USER

**** removed ****

REMOTE_USER

**** removed ****

CERT_COOKIE

CERT_FLAGS

CERT_ISSUER

CERT_KEYSIZE

CERT_SECRETKEYSIZE

CERT_SERIALNUMBER

CERT_SERVER_ISSUER

CERT_SERVER_SUBJECT

CERT_SUBJECT

CONTENT_LENGTH

CONTENT_TYPE

GATEWAY_INTERFACE

CGI/1.1

HTTPS

off

HTTPS_KEYSIZE

HTTPS_SECRETKEYSIZE

HTTPS_SERVER_ISSUER

HTTPS_SERVER_SUBJECT

INSTANCE_ID

INSTANCE_META_PATH

/LM/W3SVC/15

LOCAL_ADDR

PATH_INFO

/images/screenshots/codefluent-entities.png

PATH_TRANSLATED

D:\WebHosting\SoftFluent\WebSite SoftFluent\SiteFinity_Wwwroot\SoftFluent\images\screenshots\codefluent-entities.png

QUERY_STRING

REMOTE_ADDR

**** removed ****

REMOTE_HOST

**** removed ****

REMOTE_PORT

REQUEST_METHOD

GET

SCRIPT_NAME

SERVER_NAME

www.softfluent.com

SERVER_PORT

SERVER_PORT_SECURE

SERVER_PROTOCOL

HTTP/1.1

SERVER_SOFTWARE

Microsoft-IIS/7.0

URL

HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL

max-stale=0

HTTP_CONNECTION

Keep-Alive

HTTP_ACCEPT

*/*

HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING

gzip, deflate

HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE

en-GB

HTTP_COOKIE

**** removed ****

HTTP_HOST

www.softfluent.com

HTTP_REFERER

http://www.softfluent.com/trials/codefluent-entities

HTTP_USER_AGENT

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; InfoPath.3)

HTTP_X_BLUECOAT_VIA

f327ca5649e0b9f4

Thanks,
Carl

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Carl,

Since there is no log for th error I can`t pinpoint the exact cause for this. Sitefinity will return 404 for an image in libraries only when its unpublished, changed url. If you happen to find a way to reproduce the error a log file should be created for all backend and frontend exceptions. Excuse me I am unable to provide much help here.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2012 00:00

We've been having the same problem. Everything is long since published... more recently, we have a SEO company changing our URLs, but I don't think that's what you mean by changing URLs...or is it?

The problem existed well before the SEO company had access to our system.

I can look at a page, and see the image, whereas my colleague can look at the same page (at the same time, or not) and not see it. It's been quite a mystery.

I've attached our error.log.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2012 00:00

We've been having the same problem. Everything is long since published... more recently, we have a SEO company changing our URLs, but I don't think that's what you mean by changing URLs...or is it?

The problem existed well before the SEO company had access to our system.

I can look at a page, and see the image, whereas my colleague can look at the same page (at the same time, or not) and not see it. It's been quite a mystery.

I've attached our error.log.

This thread is closed