Throwing this out there because it had been driving us nuts for a while, and we finally tracked it down ...
We had been getting NullReferenceExceptions ("Object not set to an instance of an object") in various parts of Sitefinity Admin.
The setup is a little odd, in that we have it running in a Virtual Directory under a much larger application, and we figured that was causing the issues we were seeing, but couldn't figure out how.
We finally tracked it down. Turned out that ViewState was disabled in the parent application's web.config, and several screens in Sitefinity Admin rely on ViewState being enabled.
The cleanest fix (if your application needs ViewState disabled) is to go to the Sitefinity subfolder under your application and edit the web.config to only enable ViewState in the Sitefinity Admin screens (note the attributes on the <pages> tag ...
| <appSettings/> |
| <connectionStrings/> |
| <system.web> |
| <pages enableViewState="true" enableViewStateMac="true" viewStateEncryptionMode="Auto"> |
| <controls> |
| <add tagPrefix="sf" namespace="Telerik.Cms.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Cms.Web.UI"/> |
| <add tagPrefix="sf" namespace="Telerik.Cms.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Cms"/> |
| <add tagPrefix="sfSec" namespace="Telerik.Security.WebControls" assembly="Telerik.Security"/> |
| </controls> |
| </pages> |
| </system.web> |