Moving Sitefinity from Server 2008 x86 to 2008 R2

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. David
    David avatar
    1 posts
    24 Jan 2012
    01 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    I have a server which I host and the user is running Sitefinity although I am unsure of the version. I moved all of the server data , SQL DB's and IIS content to the new server. I thought I had everything up and running but when the user logs into the new site and tries to edit a page (any page) the page shows no content of something along those lines.

The only difference I could notice is the old server main site is running on Classic .Net AppPool V2 and the new site is running on ASP .Net v4 Classic.
    There is also a virtual directory which is Sitefinity and on the old server its ASP .Net v4 Integrated and on the new server its running on ASP .Net v4 Classic.

If I try changing these to match the old server the sites wont load. I dont know if this even matters for the backend issue the user is getting or if anyone has a check list of things I should have done while moving the sites I would appreciate it.
  2. Andrei
    Andrei avatar
    553 posts
    27 Nov 2008
    06 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    This is my checklist:
    1 - Create a .bak file of the database (Mode: Full)
    2 - Restore it onto the new box,
    3 - Create a new Website on the new IIS7
      - Configure the Application Pool,
      - The access rights,
      - The .NET framework
      - Basically go through Gabe Sumner's video on deployment (telerik.tv)
    4 - Change the Connection String to pint to the new SQL Server

That's all from the top of my head.
  3. Svetoslav Petsov
    Svetoslav Petsov avatar
    456 posts
    24 Sep 2012
    06 Feb 2012
    Link to this post
    Hello David,

Andrei provided a pretty good list of the things you should do when deploying. You can also find useful information on this matter in our Administration and Installation guide:

Svetoslav Petsov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
3 posts, 0 answered