SQL Server 2008

14 posts, 0 answered
  1. Erik
    Erik avatar
    34 posts
    06 Dec 2007
    18 Apr 2008
    Link to this post
    I haven't seen many people talking about SQL 2008, but just wanted to post this up there to start some conversation about it. 

Is Sitefinity officially supporting SQL 2008? 
    Is anyone currently using it with their installation? 
    How is it going and would you recommend using it instead of 2005?

General comments on this are helpful and appreciated as I am considering upgrading for my project,

Erik
  2. Vlad
    Vlad avatar
    498 posts
    15 Jul 2016
    22 Apr 2008
    Link to this post
    Hello Erik,

As we still haven't tested Sitefinity with SQL Server 2008, we cannot say it is officially supported. Therefore, we cannot recommend using it for the time being.

All the best,
    Vlad
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  3. Joseph
    Joseph avatar
    7 posts
    14 Oct 2008
    27 Oct 2008
    Link to this post
    Any updates on SQL 2008 support? Our company just upgraded from 2000 and 2005 versions to 2008 and I'm wondering if anyone has succesfully configured Sitefinity to work with 2008? I'm having some issues with 401 errors that I think may be related.
  4. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    28 Oct 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Joseph,

We support SQL 2008 and do not have any problems reported for it so far.
    We have answered to the other forum thread which you have posted about the 401 error responses.

All the best,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  5. Joseph
    Joseph avatar
    26 posts
    28 Oct 2008
    28 Oct 2008
    Link to this post
    Great, thanks Georgi. I just noticed the thread and the installer screen still only lists 2005.
  6. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    28 Oct 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Joseph,

Yes I agree for that.
    We are having plans to change the Data Access Layer of Sitefinity in the next major version (the backward compatibility will be kept for sure though), and probably we will update the installer and the instructions on our web site when this happens.

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  7. Glennon Karr
    Glennon Karr avatar
    3 posts
    10 Jul 2008
    07 Nov 2008
    Link to this post
    Georgi,

We are considering a hosting environment for Sitefinity 3.2 which includes a SqlServer 2008 db.  Would  you forsee any issues with 3.2 and SqlServer 2008.

Craig
  8. Joseph
    Joseph avatar
    26 posts
    28 Oct 2008
    08 Nov 2008
    Link to this post
    If you read the thread, Georgi from Telerik says:

"We support SQL 2008 and do not have any problems reported for it so far."

I would suggest downloading Sitefinity 3.5 SP1 from Client.net, I've got two successful installs running Standard edition with SQL 2008, working great.
  9. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    10 Nov 2008
    Link to this post
    Hello,

There shouldn't be any problems with Sitefinity 3.2 and SQL Server 2008 also.

All the best,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

10. Eileen
    Eileen avatar
    4 posts
    30 May 2008
    13 Nov 2008
    Link to this post
    Is it also working for SQL Server 2008 Express?

I have that database on another CPU and cannot establish a connection.

There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server:
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

I currently have windows firewall off

documentation regarding opening SQL Server 2005 for external access is unclear for 2008, but I have enabled tcpip and restarted the SQL service.

Is there a more basic tool to check connectivity from the client?  The SQLCMD suggested by MSDN is not installed.

11. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    14 Nov 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Eileen,

We confirm that Sitefinity is working with SQL2008 Express. The problem you have looks like a configuration issue. Please refer to the discussion Named Pipes Provider, error 40.... They are talking about SQL 2005, the configuration is actually the same for SQL 2008.

Kind regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

12. david
    david avatar
    5 posts
    25 Feb 2010
    25 Nov 2010
    Link to this post
    How it can support  SQL Server 2008 if Nolics does not have provider for it only SqlServer2005Provider?
    When i tried to run SF 3.2 it throws

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParser' or one of its dependencies. An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format.

that is SMO of SQL Server 2005, 2008 version has Microsoft.SqlServer.BatchParserClient
  13. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    25 Nov 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi,

We have support for SQL Sever 2008 and we have DataAccess provider for it. Also you have to use higher version - 3.2 is about 2 years old.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  14. david
    david avatar
    5 posts
    25 Feb 2010
    25 Nov 2010
    Link to this post
    thanks a lot, your answer helped me very very much! "sarcasm"
Register for webinar
14 posts, 0 answered