I'll start this off by saying I am not a .NET programmer. I have a decent knowledge of programming in general, but no experience with .NET. In Sitefinity, I work primarily as a skinner, but I also maintain my personal site using the Sitefinity community edition. In my time working with Sitefinity, a number of things have piqued my curiosity (and in some cases, my frustration). I'm hoping I can get some explanations, and possibly some resolutions.
1) Why does the SitePanelBar have the functionality to "expand" and "collapse", if it is guaranteed that anytime someone clicks a link in the panel bar, it will take them to a new URL? Is there a way to globally disable this functionality? Many of our clients, and my site visitors, ask why this functionality exists.
2) If I remap a user control template, such as the news list, why do I lose all of the administrative UI (select the category, display type, elements to display)? Is there a way to avoid this? I would really like to restructure the news view for my home page (in divs), as it is very difficult to set up a floating thumbnail that is properly aligned, when the thumbnail is located below so many elements in the HTML structure.
3) How do I cause the generic content editor to display content using my theme? As opposed to the generic Times New Roman unstyled-web-page appearance.
4) Is there a way to tell Sitefinity to:
Redirect to ~/sitefinity/login.aspx IF the file that the user is trying to access is in the ~/sitefinity directory
Redirect to ~/Resources/login.aspx IF the file that the user is trying to access is NOT in the ~/sitefinity directory
The issue is, I don't want my normal site members redirected to the ~/sitefinity/login.aspx page -- I don't want them to ever see it. But, as it stands, if they logout from a non-public page, they are redirected to the sitefinity login page. I am also concerned that even if I find a fix for this, the ?ReturnUrl functionality would stop working.
5) When will more granular permissions for blogs, and images and documents be added? It is difficult to "dole out" blogs for members, knowing that any member has access to all members' blogs.
6) There are apparently a large number of "hidden" features in Sitefinity, such as the table tool in the generic content control, which are disabled by xml files throughout the ~/sitefinity directory. Is there a concise documentation of these anywhere? I would really like to discover, and enable a lot of these capabilities. Right now, I only find them when I go looking for something specific, but I would love to unlock Sitefinity's true potential by having a list in front of me of what "comes disabled".
Note: I know how to locate and enable tools in the generic content editor -- what I'm looking for is a more universal list of "Sitefinity has all these features, but they are disabled by default; here's how to enable them" list.
Again, my apologies if any of this is obvious. I am not a .NET programmer, and am not familiar with Visual Studio, so a lot of this may be simple, but it eludes me.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.