+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Designing with Sitefinity / Error on the dashboard

Error on the dashboard

6 posts, 1 answered
  1. Bruno Michels
    Bruno Michels avatar
    125 posts
    Registered:
    16 Apr 2010
    03 Dec 2010
    Link to this post
    I'm getting this error

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

    Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    Line 38:             plhDashboardItems.Controls.Clear();
    Line 39: 
    Line 40:             foreach (IPersonalizedDashboardItem item in GlobalDashboardItems.Instance.DashboardItems)
    Line 41:             {
    Line 42:                 plhDashboardItems.Controls.Add((WebControl)item);

    Source File: c:\Sourcesafe\Projetos DotNet\REDIMOB\Portal\QUAY.Redimob.Portal - 4.00.000\WebSite\Sitefinity\Admin\Default.aspx.cs    Line: 40

    Stack Trace:

    [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Telerik.Blogs.BlogsModule.FillRecentPosts(String providerName, ICollection`1 recentPosts) +162
       Telerik.Blogs.BlogsModule.GetRecentPosts(Int32 rowPerPage) +206
       Telerik.Blogs.BlogsModule.GetRecentItems(String userName, Int32 count) +939
       Telerik.Blogs.BlogsModule.GetRecentItems(Int32 count) +41
       Telerik.Cms.Web.UI.Personalization.GlobalDashboardItems.GetRecentChanges(Int32 rowPerPage) +475
       Telerik.Cms.Web.UI.Personalization.GlobalDashboardItems.get_DashboardItems() +240
       Admin_Default.LoadDashboardRecentItems() in c:\Sourcesafe\Projetos DotNet\REDIMOB\Portal\QUAY.Redimob.Portal - 4.00.000\WebSite\Sitefinity\Admin\Default.aspx.cs:40
       Admin_Default.OnLoad(EventArgs e) in c:\Sourcesafe\Projetos DotNet\REDIMOB\Portal\QUAY.Redimob.Portal - 4.00.000\WebSite\Sitefinity\Admin\Default.aspx.cs:70
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627
    


    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4952; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4955


    What could be the cause of it? (I might have edited something on the database)
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2016
    03 Dec 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Bruno,

    Could you tell us which version of Sitefinity you use? We had similar issues in Sitefinity 3.7 SP3 and older versions, but we made improvements in Sitefinity 3.7 SP4.

    All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Bruno Michels
    Bruno Michels avatar
    125 posts
    Registered:
    16 Apr 2010
    03 Dec 2010
    Link to this post
    I'm using Sitefinity 3.7 SP3

    Is there a fix for this version?
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2016
    03 Dec 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Bruno,

    Try upgrading to the latest version - SP4.
    The problem is that there are many items in one of your module or some of the items on your datashboard and the query cannot be handled.

    Greetings,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
    Answered
  5. Eric
    Eric avatar
    19 posts
    Registered:
    06 Nov 2007
    11 Jan 2011
    Link to this post
    I am running into the same issue after restoring 2 databases, GCMetaData and CmsContentBase.  We are on SP4, and ideas how to fix this?
  6. Bruno Michels
    Bruno Michels avatar
    125 posts
    Registered:
    16 Apr 2010
    11 Feb 2011
    Link to this post
    Eric, there is some inconsistency in the database.

    A clean up on version tables apparently solved this problem: ( http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/kb/sitefinity-3-x/how-to-reduce-the-project-database-size.aspx )

    truncate table sf_VersionItem  -- EVIL TABLE
    truncate table sf_VrsBinData    
    truncate table sf_VrsLockedItems    
    truncate table sf_VrsTxtData 
    truncate table sf_StagedPageContent   
         
    update sf_PageContentBase set version = 1   
     
    DBCC SHRINKDATABASE ( YOUR_DATABASE_NAME )  
     
    delete from sf_StagedCtrlLinks where PageID not in (select ID from sf_StagedPageContent)  
    delete from sf_CmsCtrlLinks where PageID not in (select ID from sf_PageBase)  
    delete from sf_WebControlBase where ID not in (select ControlID from sf_CmsCtrlLinks)  
    delete from sf_CmsWebControl where ID not in (select ID from sf_WebControlBase)  
    delete from sf_CmsControlProperty where ControlID not in (select ID from sf_CmsWebControl)
       
    DBCC SHRINKDATABASE ( YOUR_DATABASE_NAME )
Register for webinar
6 posts, 1 answered