04 Oct 2010
04 Oct 2010
Link to this post
We are still evaluating Sitefinity, have built 1 website and are impressed. However, we are now trying to achieve a setup of 2 websites that will only differ by domain name and theme. All other content will be the same. I've read through numerous posts centered around having some shared and some separate content using the provider model but, since we're talking about pages and not modules as well as using 1 physical directory, the more I look through everything, it appears we should do the following:
1) Create a custom class that inherits from CmsProvider.
2) Create a custom class that inherits from Telerik.Cms.Data.PageBase and override the Theme property to determine theme by domain.
3) Have our provider use functionality from DefaultProvider but only "override" the functions that return some form of Page to return our custom class derived from PageBase.
4) Modify web.config to use our custom CmsProvider.
5) Place our images in the Themes folder that corresponds to the dynamic theme we will load based on domain name.
I'm still REALLY new to Sitefinity and CMS software in general, so I'm probably making this more complicated than necessary. Am I even close to being on the right track?
Secondly, since 4.0 is getting closer, will it have a simpler solution for achieving this out-of-the-box? If so, we may wait until then.