Extensionless URLs

2 posts, 0 answered
  1. higgsy
    higgsy avatar
    336 posts
    05 Aug 2010
    24 Aug 2010
    Link to this post

I've seen that there are lots of threads about extensionless URL's, so I'm not going to start a whole new discussion but instead ask whether there are any known issues with using Microsoft's IIS Url Rewrite module - the following URL, http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/803/using-custom-rewrite-providers-with-url-rewrite-module/, discusses a perfect solution because the module itself will connect to SQL, execute a stored procedure to search for the correct mapping, and then perform the redirect.

I'm all for using SiteFinity's built-in URL rewriting, however many of the posts I've read state that the home page will always redirect to /<your-home-page> rather than just /. I would also like to fix trailing slashes, turn underscores into hyphens, and force lowercase urls - which again I dont know whether this functionality is available in Sitefinity.

Thanks in advance
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Oct 2016
    24 Aug 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Alastair,

There are two options to remove the home page from the url

Option 1

1) Set ~/default.aspx as your home page in Sitefinity admin.
    2) Add ~/default.aspx as default document in IIS.
    3) Create a blank ~/default.aspx in the root of your website.

Option 2
    Modify the <cms> configuration section in your web.config as bellow

<cms defaultProvider="Sitefinity" pageExtension=".aspx" siteTemplate="" projectName="MySite" disabled="false" pageEditorUIMode="Overlay" redirectToHomePage="false">

Forcing lowercase - this could be done for the SiteMap provider though the web.config

<siteMap defaultProvider="CmsSiteMapProvider" enabled="true">
            <clear />
            <add name="CmsSiteMapProvider" lowercaseUrls="true"....

I would also like to fix trailing slashes, turn underscores into hyphens - you can use Sitefinity's Advanced Url Rewriter. You could check our  UserManaual for more detailed information about how to set and use the rewriter.

Sincerely yours,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
2 posts, 0 answered