Thanks for getting backing to me about this again. So my understanding is this:
1. The Sitefinity ControlTemplates are wrapped inside your DLL files, meaning I can not overwrite them?
2. In the folder ~/Sitefinity/Admin/ControlTemplates I dump the control templates I need?
3. The controls config file is what I use to map to these Control Templates?
Now if I were to upgrade:
1. I would use the controls config to check which Control Templates I have recently worked on.
2. If I then copy and paste the folders from the patch, the folders are copied but the ControlTemplates remain in place?
I think the part that baffled me was the copying over of the patch folders. I needed to do a quick test now to prove that if you overwrite a folder with another one that has something in it already , the files remain in tact.
Is my understanding of this better?
Apologies if this seems common knowledge. :)