4 posts, 1 answered
  1. mcpdinkansas
    mcpdinkansas avatar
    102 posts
    22 Mar 2007
    02 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Issue:

We were given the task to convert an all html site into a Sitefinity site. Thousands of pages, and hundreds of documents/images.

To save time, we have stored all documents to a root level directory folder called /TempDocuments and created a custom redirect when any page accesses a document via a link pointing to /documents/ we redirect the repsonse to point them to the /TempDocuments folder until we can get all these into Sitefinity modules for file management.

Long story short, this method works well in Firefox, but for some reason IE gives a 404.

Thoughts?

2. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    03 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi mcpdinkansas,

Thank you for using our services.

Could you please let us know how/where are you making the redirect? I think that the most suitable way to do is to create a custom http module which will catch the request and perform a response redirect with 302 status code. Consider the very basic sample bellow. In this situation I have moved my files from ~/Files to ~/Images. And I have created the IHttpModule to handle this:
    using System;
    using System.Web;

namespace Sitefinity.Samples
    {
        /// <summary>
        /// Summary description for SampleHttpModule
        /// </summary>
        public class SampleHttpModule : IHttpModule
        {
            #region IHttpModule Members

public void Dispose()
            {

}

public void Init(HttpApplication context)
            {
                this.context = context;
                context.BeginRequest += new EventHandler(context_BeginRequest);
            }

void context_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                HttpRequest currentRequest = this.context.Context.Request;
                if (currentRequest.RawUrl.Contains("/Files/"))
                {
                    this.context.Response.StatusCode = 302;
                    this.context.Response.Redirect(currentRequest.RawUrl.Replace("/Files", "/Images"));
                }
            }

#endregion

#region Private Fields

private HttpApplication context;

#endregion
        }
    }

Then I have registered my  http module in the web.config both for IIS 6 and IIS7:
    <httpModules>
        <add name="FilesRedirect" type="Sitefinity.Samples.SampleHttpModule, App_Code"/>
        <add name="ScriptModule" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
        <add name="Cms" type="Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsHttpModuleUrlRewrite, Telerik.Cms" />
        <!-- Http Module for extension mappings in Library module.-->
        <!--<add name="LibraryModule" type="Telerik.Libraries.LibraryHttpModule, Telerik.Libraries"/>-->
        <add name="RadUploadModule" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadHttpModule, Telerik.Web.UI" />
    </httpModules>

<system.webServer>
        <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
        <modules>
            <remove name="ScriptModule" />
            <remove name="Cms" />
            <remove name="FilesRedirect"/>
            <!--<remove name="LibraryModule"/>-->
            <remove name="RadUploadModule" />
            <add name="FilesRedirect" type="Sitefinity.Samples.SampleHttpModule, App_Code"/>
            <add name="ScriptModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptModule, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
            <add name="Cms" type="Telerik.Cms.Web.CmsHttpModuleUrlRewrite, Telerik.Cms" />
            <!-- Http Module for extension mappings in Library module.-->
            <!--<add name="LibraryModule" type="Telerik.Libraries.LibraryHttpModule, Telerik.Libraries"/>-->
            <add name="RadUploadModule" preCondition="managedHandler" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadHttpModule, Telerik.Web.UI" />
        </modules>

Best wishes,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
    Answered
  3. mcpdinkansas
    mcpdinkansas avatar
    102 posts
    22 Mar 2007
    03 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Thanks for the help Radoslav.

I was doing the redirects within the global.asax within Application_BeginRequest. I moved this code to an HttpModule as you described without any luck.

The issue was we had the document extensions within the mappings in IIS, causing this issue. I do like the HttpModule better, seems like a lot cleaner approach.

Thanks for all your help!
  4. Richard
    Richard avatar
    24 posts
    25 Apr 2008
    03 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    If you're using IIS 7 on Windows 2008 I'd recommend URL Rewrite 2.0. It works well with Sitefinity and it's easy to use. It can do all sorts of redirects as well as URL rewriting.

http://www.iis.net/download/urlrewrite
Register for webinar
4 posts, 1 answered