+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Developing with Sitefinity / Newsletter was not expected.

Newsletter <html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'> was not expected.

9 posts, 0 answered
  1. Jonathan
    Jonathan avatar
    13 posts
    16 Jun 2012
    22 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    I am getting 

<html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'> was not expected.  
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.  

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: <html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'> was not expected.  

Source Error:  

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.  

Stack Trace:  

[InvalidOperationException: <html xmlns='http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml'> was not expected.]  
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionSerializationReader.Read125_definitions() +319306  
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescriptionSerializer.Deserialize(XmlSerializationReader reader) +39  
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +119  

[InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (5, 2).]  
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events) +613  
       System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader) +30  
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescription.Read(XmlReader reader, Boolean validate) +339  
       System.Web.Services.Description.ServiceDescription.Read(XmlReader reader) +6  
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy.BuildAssemblyFromWsdl(String strWsdl) +83  
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy.BuildProxy() +86  
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy..ctor(String wsdlLocation, Cookie authCookie) +146  
       Telerik.Notifications.Services.MailingServiceProxy..ctor(String wsdlUri) +296  
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.DataManager.OnInitialized() +23  
       Telerik.ManagerBase`1.Initialize() +505  
       Telerik.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName) +21  
       Telerik.ManagerBase`1..ctor() +11  
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.DataManager..ctor(String providerName) +15  
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.WebControl.Admin.ControlPanel.CreateChildControls() +38  
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87  
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +44  
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171  
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842  

When I try to goto the newsletter module under the admin. I have followed the steps in this thread http://www.sitefinity.com/support/forums/support-forum-thread/b1043S-betkck.aspx to see if that would help but still no go.

What could I be missing?

We are hosting this on Mosso so could it be something with that?
  2. Pierre
    Pierre avatar
    433 posts
    16 Feb 2006
    23 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Jonathan,

I suggest shutdown your firewall one time and remake this operation. After, restart, the firewall. If you work under DevServer make sure that are good rights as allow. Regards.
  3. Jonathan
    Jonathan avatar
    13 posts
    16 Jun 2012
    23 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    What if I am doing this from a hosted solution? I started the project by unzipping the emptyproject.zip and just uploading it to our ftp. Everything else seems to be working but that.

Do I need to download it in Visual Studio and run it to the point of the newsletter and then upload it?
  4. Pierre
    Pierre avatar
    433 posts
    16 Feb 2006
    25 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Jonathan,

Could you suggest activate your account mail in your hosting (mail box), create one email account and add this credential to your web.config file. Regards
  5. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    27 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Jonathan,

The problem is that the dynamic assembly we create on the first Newsletter module load could not be created.  You should run your project on locally indeed, then just upload the assembly generated in \[YourProject]\Sitefinity\ServiceAssemblies to the same location on your live server.

Let us know about the results.

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  6. Jonathan
    Jonathan avatar
    13 posts
    16 Jun 2012
    27 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    I actually did this and got the same results. I downloaded the project ran it locally, tested the newsletter and it worked fine. Then reuploaded and still get the same results.

Any other ideas?
  7. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    05 Sep 2008
    Link to this post
    Hello Jonathan,

We apologize for the delay with the response.
    We are still not sure what is the reason for the error on your live server. So we need further asssistance to localize the problem. What is the exact version of your Sitefinity project? Does your application use MySQL database?

All the best,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
  8. Jonathan
    Jonathan avatar
    13 posts
    16 Jun 2012
    05 Sep 2008
    Link to this post
    Version 3.2.1616.3

And yes we are using MySQL
  9. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    08 Sep 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Jonathan Marbutt,

Please refer to the forum thread Error in XML document (1, 1) and follow the instructions from my last reply posted at  8/26/2008 4:42:06 AM.

Please contact us if the problem still persists.

Sincerely yours,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Register for webinar
9 posts, 0 answered