Thank you for posting your questions.
4) Querying an external database - how can this be down using the sitefinity search index system?
1) I have seen a number of forum posts that custom Control Properties will have the option to be sorted in Sitefinity Version 4.0 I was wondering if this actually has made it into the final release? And whether there is anyway of implementing this in 3.7
- Yes, we have implemented this in 4.0. Unfortunately the implementation in 3.7 would not be an easy one. I'll have to double check, unfortunately I cannot provide you with a solution at this time.
2) We have noticed that in the module area of the generic content section we have the option to add the generic content to categories and tags - Again i was wondering if this functionaility can be implemented on a page level so when you add the generic content control to a page can you assign tags/categories then? How could such functionality be implemented if possible?
Tags and categories are not implemented for pages, but if you need to assign tags and categories to Generic Content which uses shared content, tags and categories can be then assigned to this shared content from the Generic Content module.
3) We have a component art menu and have been advised to not display it in the page edit and preview modes as there is a known conflict between the menu and sitefinity - I was wondering what the dangers are of allowing the menu to be visible but navigable?
It really depends if the menu component uses ajax or the httpcontext - we have disabled the navigation of all links on the pages (finding href elements, and assigning value - "#"). Every control works in isolated mode without access to the page object (in case control breaks, the page should be functional).
The best way would be to create custom indexing provider, which works with the external database. We are searching only in local catalog files, created by crawling content items. This means that such catalog should be created by crawler which works with your 3rd party db.
5) I have a couple of custom Properties on a user control set as booleans and i was wondering if instead of displaying them as dropdowns whether they can be displayed as check boxes instead?
This is possible with a custom control designer for your control.
Don't hesitate to contacts us if you have more questions.
All the best,
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat
for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!