+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Developing with Sitefinity / Run Multiple Community Editon Sites from one SQL2009 Database?

Run Multiple Community Editon Sites from one SQL2009 Database?

42 posts, 0 answered
  1. SelAromDotNet
    SelAromDotNet avatar
    912 posts
    18 Jul 2012
    26 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    is there a reason why we wouldn't be able to just use a separate database for each sitefinity site on the same domain?

for example say our main site is www.oursite.com, and we want to add subsites as site1.ourdomain.com and site2.ourdomain.com. can I just treat each of these sites as a separate sitefinity installation, but share the same license (since they're on the same top level domain)?

it seems like this would be the best way to avoid any kind of configuration and synchronization errors. In fact I can't imagine why you would want to put multiple sites in one db, unless you are limited to the number of dbs you can use by your host...

is that the only reason? is there a difference in performance by combining them into the same db as opposed to separating them?

thanks!
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    26 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hello SelArom,

The license key is generated per domain name so it will work for each subdomain. You can use one database with many Sitefinity installations and share or not share any content by modifying the applicationName of each web application. The main problem with the shared database is that you will have to create SQL scripts to export the websites in case you want to have separate databases.

Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. SelAromDotNet
    SelAromDotNet avatar
    912 posts
    18 Jul 2012
    26 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    thanks for the reply ivan, this is about what I figured,

but is there any reason why someone should choose to share the database instead of making them separate? which is the "suggested" method?
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    26 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hello SelArom,

The suggested method is using separate database for each project.

Greetings,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  5. Scott McNeany
    Scott McNeany avatar
    44 posts
    09 Mar 2010
    09 Mar 2010
    Link to this post
    Ivan,

This seems easy enough (and a great feature) to just change the applicationName of the CMS provider to have separate pages, but shared modules. However, when I change the applicationName value to "/NewValue" for one site, I get the following .NET error. Please help as this error makes absolutely no sense to me and i don't know where to start.

This type of page is not served.

Description: The type of page you have requested is not served because it has been explicitly forbidden.  The extension '.aspx' may be incorrect.   Please review the URL below and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 
  6. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    09 Mar 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Scott McNeany,

Make sure that you have changed the application name of the cms provider

<cms defaultProvider="Sitefinity" pageExtension=".aspx" projectName="SomeName" disabled="false" pageEditorUIMode="Overlay">
            <providers>
                <clear />
                <add  applicationName="/TEST" connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" allowPageHistory="True" allowPageWorkflow="false" cachingProviderName="ASPNET" name="Sitefinity" type="Telerik.Cms.Data.DefaultProvider, Telerik.Cms.Data" />
            </providers>

If the cms section at your end looks like this one shown above you should not get errors, or the problem you have comes from somewhere else.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
  7. sweety
    sweety avatar
    28 posts
    28 Jun 2010
    26 Jul 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Reader

I have a client who want to develop three websites having different URLs and databases on a single sitefinity installation,He wants to manage it by creating instances...

I want to know that when we create a project via blank project It will also create a instance of that so Is it different of what he exactly wants..I am little bit confuse about it..as he want to run these sites with a single license ....

So please clear the things ...Is starting with the blank project will do the same or we have to do something else...

Thanks

8. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    26 Jul 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello sweety,

Multiple instanced of a Sitefinity website can be managed from one place by using the provider model as described in this long post. The license key is generated per domain name and it is valid for a single domain and all subdomains.

Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  9. sweety
    sweety avatar
    28 posts
    28 Jun 2010
    26 Jul 2010
    Link to this post
    Dear Team,

Suppose, I create three projects through the Project manager Like Site1,Site2,Site3...all of three having different themes,templates and databases...

So Is it the right approach for creating instances for sites..If client purchased a domain and wants to run these sites as a subdomain of it having three URLs.. so will it worked ...

I am asking to you,as I am confused about it..I have developed the two of them by using blank project..and now he ask to using single installation with various instances...

I dont know more about it..as I have just started sitefinity as a new comer...So please guide me for this...

10. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    26 Jul 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi sweety,

Create this new installation and change the web.config so the newly create project will use multiple providers. These providers will serve data from the other two projects you have already created. Here is a webinar that you might find useful.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  11. sweety
    sweety avatar
    28 posts
    28 Jun 2010
    26 Jul 2010
    Link to this post
    Dear reader,

I have created two sites with project manager, and change the web.config as below...
    now I have two folders in websites Trial1 and Trial2 .

<providers> 
            <clear /> 
            <add connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" allowPageHistory="true" 
              allowPageWorkflow="false" name="Sitefinity" type="Telerik.Cms.Data.DefaultProvider, Telerik.Cms.Data" applicationName="/trial1" /> 
     </providers> 

<providers> 
            <clear /> 
            <add connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" allowPageHistory="true" 
              allowPageWorkflow="false" name="Sitefinity" type="Telerik.Cms.Data.DefaultProvider, Telerik.Cms.Data" applicationName="/trial2" /> 
     </providers> 

will it be enough , I have to use seperate databases for both of one..So what nex to do...

12. Vikram
    Vikram avatar
    1 posts
    25 May 2012
    25 May 2012
    Link to this post
    My client has sitefinty site e.g. www.abc.com
    He has got a new site designed and created a new user for us in the same sitefinity installation i.e. www.abc.com/test

He want us to load the new theme template using the new user credentials.
    We had created the site on our local system with an individual installation. What content should i give them to upload through ftp so that their existing site does not get disturb and my new site also start working on www.abc.com/test. Remember We have entirely different theme and template for the new site.

Thanks in advance.
    Vikram
Register for webinar
42 posts, 0 answered
1 2