I would not say that the creating of the provider is harder in 4.0. I would say that the way is different, because of the new architecture and there are some specific things that you need to do. We started working on a sample, but it is not complete yet.
Currently there is missing implementation in the backend and even adding the providers, you will not be able to switch them from the backend - we have not implemented the ComboBox that will allow you to do this.
Generally the steps for creating a new provider for existing module are( this is how you can do this from the configuration, so you will not work programmatically)
1. Go to settings
2. Select an existing provider - say Libraries and expand its Providers node
3. On the right screen click "Create new" - provideer
4. Set the provider settings
5. Then expand the newly create provider node and select "Parameters"
6. Add parameters - applicationName /Value
7.Restart the server
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans?
Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed?
Telerik Public Issue Tracking
system and vote to affect the priority of the items