Hello JOHN and John,
I think the Press Release Functionality could easily be achieved by creating an additional data provider for the News module, rather than spending efforts to create a custom module. Here's how to do this:
- Go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced in the backend
- Expand the News node, and click on the Providers subnode
- Click the "Create New" button on the right.
- Specify a name and description of your choice (e.g. "Press Releases"). You can copy the Version and ProviderType fields from the sibling node OpenAccessDataProvider
- Save the new provider and click on the subnode Parameters, again Create New
- add "applicationName" as Key and a string of your choice as Value ("PressReleases")
- Save changes
After you've done this, a menu will appear in the backend of the News module, where you can choose a data provider before creating items (see attached screenshot). In order to view the items from the new provider in the front-end, you need to configure the News widget on a page:
- Open the properties of the News widget after you drop it on a page.
- Click Advanced.
- Find and click "ControlDefinition"
- Specify the name you gave when creating the provider in the Provider Name property.
- Save and you're done.
All that said, you are right about the lack of documentation for these common scenarios. Providing a thorough developer manual and samples is a big priority for us in the next quarter and we're investing a lot of effort there. Things are only going to change for the better from now on. Thank you for the understanding and please post any other suggestions for samples or articles that you think would be helpful either in the forums, or through our support system.
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans?
Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed?
Telerik Public Issue Tracking
system and vote to affect the priority of the items