Newsletter enhancements in Q1, 2011

9 posts, 1 answered
  1. Amanda Shafer
    Amanda Shafer avatar
    198 posts
    12 Oct 2012
    10 Feb 2011
    Link to this post
    I've read the road map for Q1 this year and have a question about the enhancements that will be rolled out for the newsletter module.

Will the report functionality show me email addresses that read and forwarded the newsletter, or is it only a combined statistic such as # emails read, # emails forwarded?
  2. Kalina
    Kalina avatar
    176 posts
    27 Oct 2016
    15 Feb 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Amanda Shafer,

I confirm that the report functionality will show the actual email addresses that read and forwarded the newsletter.

Let me know if you have more questions.
    All the best,
    Kalina
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
    Answered
  3. Andrei
    Andrei avatar
    553 posts
    27 Nov 2008
    04 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Hi, 

I have been doing some customization. i took off the Newsletter module because I do not need it and the below error comes up when i am trying to access Administration->settings

Server Error in '/Ids' Application.

Could not find the specified key "Newsletters" or class id "NewslettersResources".

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Could not find the specified key "Newsletters" or class id "NewslettersResources".

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentException: Could not find the specified key "Newsletters" or class id "NewslettersResources".]
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Resource.GetString(ResourceDataProvider provider, String classId, String key, CultureInfo culture, Boolean falback, Boolean throws) +455
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization.Res.Get(String classId, String key, CultureInfo culture, Boolean fallback, Boolean throws) +168
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.GetValue(SubstitutionItem subst, Control bindingContainer) +92

[TemplateException: A resource file with the specified class ID "NewslettersResources" was not found. This class ID declaration appears in Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Templates.Backend.Configuration.Basic.BasicSettingsSidebar.ascx.]
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.GetValue(SubstitutionItem subst, Control bindingContainer) +229
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.GetValue(PropertyDescriptor descriptor, Control bindingContainer) +53
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.SetAttribute(Object component, Control bindingContainer, Boolean bound) +167
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.ObjectBuilder.CreateObject(Control bindingContainer, PlaceHoldersCollection placeHolders) +203
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.ControlBuilder.CreateControl(Control bindingContainer, PlaceHoldersCollection placeHolders) +18
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.ControlBuilder.CreateControl(Control bindingContainer) +12
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.RootBuilder.CreateChildControls(Control parent, Control bindingContainer) +269
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.StringTemplate.InstantiateIn(Control container, PlaceHoldersCollection placeHolders) +88
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.StringTemplate.InstantiateIn(Control container) +7
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ViewModeControl`1.get_Container() +64
       Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ViewModeControl`1.CreateChildControls() +36
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +122
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +49
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +204
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +6880

Thanks,
    Andrei

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1 
  4. Boyan Barnev
    Boyan Barnev avatar
    1429 posts
    28 Aug 2017
    04 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Hi Andrei,

I have addressed your issue in your other thread that you have opened. For your convenience I'm quoting my answer below:

"Hi Andrei,

Did you to remove the Newsletters module? I saw your post in the forums and I believe that's the issue. You need to register it again now, and restart the application. You do that by putting the following line in your AppData/Sitefinity/Configuration/SystemConfig.config file of your SitefinityWebApp project
    Copy Code
    Copy Code
    <add name="Newsletters" />
    Restart the application and the Newsletters module should be installed, and you will be able to access the Settings page.

Currently we do not provide a tool for removing the modules, and in your particular case, NewslettersResources are referenced in the Basic settings sidebar template, so removing the module gives you this error when accessing Administration >> Settings. We will inspect that behavior."

All the best,
    Boyan Barnev
    the Telerik team
  5. Amanda Shafer
    Amanda Shafer avatar
    198 posts
    12 Oct 2012
    17 May 2011
    Link to this post
    Can you please tell me where I can get the email address of who opened or forwarded an email?

In the tests that I ran, all it shows are numbers.The numbers are also very strange. I sent the newsletter to two test recepients (myself and a co-worker). We both opened the newsletter email. It's reporting 0 successful deliveries and -6 unopened. I know it is still in Beta, but was wondering if it was functioning well for anyone else.

Thanks!

6. Boyan Barnev
    Boyan Barnev avatar
    1429 posts
    28 Aug 2017
    19 May 2011
    Link to this post
    Hi Amanda Shafer,

Thank you for providing us with this valuable information. Please excuse us for the inconvenience, I have followed the described steps, and successfully reproduced the issue you mentioned. The issue is logged as a bug and we'll be working on fixing it for our upcoming releases. I've updated your Telerik points accordingly.

Greetings,
    Boyan Barnev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  7. Amanda Shafer
    Amanda Shafer avatar
    198 posts
    12 Oct 2012
    19 May 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Boyan,
    Thank you for the reply. Just two clarifications needed.

1. Does this mean there is currently no way to get a list of who (email address, subscriber name) openeded or forwarded an email? In February, Kalina from the Telerik team had confirmed it would be possible (See earlier post). Was this not implemented?

2. Is there an estimate as to when the newsletter numbers will be functioned correctly? Which service pack? Or is there a PITS number for this?

Thanks!
  8. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    26 May 2011
    Link to this post
    Hi Amanda Shafer,

We are aiming to remove the beta label from the module by the end of this Q. The issues in the campaign management should also be resolved by then. 
    Unfortunately, there is no PITS issues for the issues you've noted, but we will make sure to log such so that you can track the progress.

Best wishes,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  9. Amanda Shafer
    Amanda Shafer avatar
    198 posts
    12 Oct 2012
    26 May 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Georgi,
    Thank you for responding. I look forward to the improvements on the newsletter. One of our projects is actually waiting to launch for it. The other system we use currently have this functionality and we need it before the site can switch over. We'd rather not have to use a 3rd party system in the meantime.
    Thanks!
    - Amanda
9 posts, 1 answered