Sitefinity 2011 Q1 postponed by one week

92 posts, 0 answered
  1. Telerik Admin
    Telerik Admin avatar
    188 posts
    02 Oct 2004
    25 Mar 2011
    Link to this post

The first major release of Sitefinity, after the official 4.0 release, will be postponed by one week and will be released on April 13th, as opposed to the initially planned April 6th.

While, we are ready with all the features that we have planned for the Q1 release, due to issues discovered either through our internal testing or through the support, we really want to extend our code-freeze period by one week in order to deliver a stable release.

The Q1 release is a major milestone and we believe we have done tremendous improvements to the system. We have implemented Virtual Path Provider for all the pages and templates in Sitefinity, which means that you will be able to use server side code as in a standard ASP.NET application, as well as build Intra-Site modules.

In addition to this, we have redone the Telerik Open Access implementation, which results in the fact that starting with Q1 Sitefinity can be run natively on Microsoft Azure. In addition to this, performance improvements – especially related to Forms module, Publishing System (RSS) are visible by bare eye.

We’ve also been carefully listening to your feedback, so the much requested features from Sitefinity 3.7, Shared Content and Lists module, made it also into this release.

So, as you can see, new features – together with several extremely important performance improvements and numerous bug fixes, is what makes Q1 release pivotal. Having all that in mind, we do not want to undermine the tremendous effort that went into this release, with trivial bugs that happen when the code-freeze period is not long enough.

Therefore, while we do understand that many of you have projects waiting for the Q1 release, it is our strong belief that one week later, but more stable release, will in the end be better for all involved.

2. Phill Hodgkinson
    Phill Hodgkinson avatar
    362 posts
    10 Nov 2004
    25 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    At least there are no big surprises like delivering early or on time for a change...

Can't wait to see a detailed list of bugs fixed and improvements that actually made it into this release! I'm praying that there's some sort of ability to uninstall a custom module so I can finally complete a project that's going to be close to 4 months late due to this issue.

Phill
  3. Eric
    Eric avatar
    147 posts
    12 Nov 2007
    25 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Thanks for the update. Keeps me from feverishly checking every twenty minutes for a release all week long.

Will there be another internal release, one with most of the functionality of Q1 (e.g. membership/role provider wrapper)?
  4. Conrad Ehinger
    Conrad Ehinger avatar
    59 posts
    22 Sep 2009
    25 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    What about features like WebEditors, Profile Properties, or Event Calendars?

Here's what I don't understand. You know that Sitefinity 4 is missing A LOT of features that 3.7 has. You delivered it before it was ready because it was already late. And then you make it so that nobody can purchase a Sitefinity 3.7 license and is practically forced into using Sitefinity 4...

At least let people use and purchase Sitefinity 3 licenses... at the Sitefinity 3 cost. Until Sitefinity is actually ready for FULL production use.
  5. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    03 Dec 2008
    25 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    @Conrad
      I would have traded up Lists Module for WebEditors (but thats from a dev point of view :)  I certainly have need for both..
  6. Gabe Sumner
    Gabe Sumner avatar
    440 posts
    09 Sep 2007
    26 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Hey all,

If you haven't already, be sure to engage with PITS and make sure your stories are well represented.

The team has a lot on their plate and prioritizing is a constant challenge.  Issues that 1) exist in the system, 2) are referenced frequently by customers and 3) see high votes or comments in PITS are bound to get addressed more quickly.

Beyond that, we're growing like crazy too meet all these demands.  It's only a matter of time until we address these challenges.

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS

7. Jerami Tainter
    Jerami Tainter avatar
    27 posts
    29 Oct 2009
    26 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    I like the sound of intra site modules...

Gabe I miss your webinars...maybe you should have a intra-site module webinar setup upon release of Q1 release?  :)
  8. Conrad Ehinger
    Conrad Ehinger avatar
    59 posts
    22 Sep 2009
    26 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Yea - I completely agree. WebEditors are huge for both development and content management from an end-user perspective.

Once WebEditors and Profile Properties are added into the system, I'll start putting my clients on Sitefinity 4. Right now we have about 4 license purchases a month and have to keep putting them on Sitefinity 3 instead. Sad.

Oh and Telerik - Please give us the option to Self-Install Sitefinity like we could in 3.x. The Project Manager is not fun to deal with.
  9. John S.
    John S. avatar
    126 posts
    09 Aug 2004
    26 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Perhaps this has been addressed, but how come the 2011 Q1 release is coming AFTER the 2011 Q1 SP1. Also shouldn't it be Q2...I understand telerik uses a divider of 3 instead of 4 when it calculates 1/4 of something...but now it associates the release with the end of the third of the year? This is all real confusing and what concernes me is if the obvious is confusing what else am I not seeing that's reworded to sound better than it is.

I seriously think a two release per year is a more realistic approach at this point. 
  10. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    03 Dec 2008
    26 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Well while SP1 arrived technically IN the first Quarter of the year, the initial release wasn't marked as Q1 2011, so it was really just the first service pack after release.  I also think Q1 2011 release is the first time they're officially using the release naming the rest of the telerik products use.
  11. John S.
    John S. avatar
    126 posts
    09 Aug 2004
    27 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    The service pack was released as Sitefinity 4.0 Q1 SP1. Anyways, not a big deal at all, I just thought it was confusing. 
  12. Gabe Sumner
    Gabe Sumner avatar
    440 posts
    09 Sep 2007
    27 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Steve is correct, this upcoming Q1 release is the first Sitefinity release on the traditional Telerik release schedule (3 releases per year, with service packs in between).  

We called the previous service pack Sitefinity 4.0 SP1.  There was no mention of Q1 (to my knowledge).

As a result, the next several releases you'll see will be:

- Sitefinity 2011 Q1 - the release described in this forum post
    - Sitefinity 2011 Q1 SP1
    - Sitefinity 2011 Q2
    - Sitefinity 2011 Q2 SP1
    - Etc, etc.

We're still debating whether we will eventually phase out the version numbers (4.0, 4.1, 4.2, etc).  In the short-term, I suspect we'll be calling this upcoming release Sitefinity 4.1 (Q1).

This is a bit confusing, but almost anything we do is going to be a tad confusing.  I'm not sure if this post will help shed light on this or not.  ;)

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS
  13. John S.
    John S. avatar
    126 posts
    09 Aug 2004
    27 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Gabe,

The second sticky posting in the General Discussion session is titled 'Sitefinity 4.0 Q1 SP1 Released'

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/sitefinity-4-0-q1-sp1-released.aspx

As I said, not of the utmost importance, but felt I had to reply to show where I was getting the original Q1 infomrmation from.

John
  14. Gabe Sumner
    Gabe Sumner avatar
    440 posts
    09 Sep 2007
    27 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Touché.  :)

Sorry John, I completely overlooked that.  You're correct, this is confusing.

Hopefully my proceeding forum post provided some clarification.

Thanks for spotting this John.

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS
  15. Markus
    Markus avatar
    2763 posts
    25 Nov 2005
    27 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    @gabe

This is somewhat a sad story to me. Until last week I was writing over and over again that it was not possible to enter any bug or feature requests into PITS. Moreover off all the bugs, feature request and suggestions only about 20 showed up on PITS.

www.marktold.com/screencast/pits.swf

And now you ask us to use PITS. This feels like a wet towel in the face!

So I like to put it the other way around: Please Telerik finally put all the suggestion requests, open bugs and missing features from 3,7 finally on pITS so we are able to vote as per your request.

Postponed release
    Just to let you know how this makes me feel. I have postponed a project with a important client because 4.0 was not close to beeing ready for a customer project. So in January I told the client that we would start in the first week of April. Now I have to go back to the client and tell him we have to wait another week.

I try to simply deliver what I promise but at the moment this is not possible.

I sure hope that at least what Telerik promised for Q1 will actually be delivered! No - unfortunately this and that did not make it to the Q1 but we are PLANNING it for Q2.

I sure hope Telerik will get back to delivering more then we expect - at the moment I usually simply hope that Telerik delivers what they promise.

Sorry Markus
  16. John S.
    John S. avatar
    126 posts
    09 Aug 2004
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Is there as list of fixes somewhere for Q1? I was told the viewstate problem would be fixed but I don't see that noted anywhere. Does anyone know if that isssue has been resolved?

Thanks.
  17. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello,

Further to the announced features, there are couple more coming:

- Asp.Net membership providers wrappers;
    - Profile and Profile fields support;
    - Multiple urls for Content and Pages;
    - Much better content caching mechanism for faster application responses.

WebEditors are dropped at this point - now we are using different approach for this task. Please check this blog post- http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/slavoingilizov/posts/11-02-11/creating_a_thumbnail_selector_for_news_items.aspx

Regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
  18. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    03 Dec 2008
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Semantics :). By "Webeditors" we mean decorating a property with an attribute and getting a zero-code (on our end) selector...the implementation on the selector in that blog post shows us what can be done, but if far from 3.7 webeditor ease...
  19. RobertZ121
    RobertZ121 avatar
    64 posts
    14 Aug 2006
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post

You deliver much less than promised – therefore please give money back to your customers!!!

Sitefinity promised the new release 4 last year but delivered delayed on January 14th 2011.  – Sitefinity forced us to a new, higher price – but Sitefinity delivered a not working system. Sitefinity was always  promising and promising but until now Sitefinity only gave us excuses and delays. Q1 hopefully comes now in Q2 ;-((( what a shame.

Many developers like me a highly unsatisfied and frustrated about this software status and not carried out anouncements  by Sitefinity AND loose and  lost a lot of money because of postponed customer projects until now. All that because they and me trusted in Sitefinity. – So the minimum for Sitefinity would be to accept compensation like a prolongation of all active running Sitefinity 4.0 licenses for at least 3 months!!!!

Regards, Robert

20. Jochem Bökkers
    Jochem Bökkers avatar
    787 posts
    13 Aug 2007
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    In regards to 'PITS'

Nice feature but it would be even greater feature if we could use it. Sitefinity licenses are managed through company account not a personal account. For large companies this also means any bugs would have to be passed on to the (usually non tech) managers who control the licenses instead of the actual developers.

Me, I recently left my prev company where I handled all things Telerik and doing some dev work on my own now. Nicely waiting with buying v4 licenses until the last moment.

So where do you want me to send them now?
  21. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    03 Dec 2008
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    @Jochem

You can click "Manage" on the licenses and assign more devs so you can submit tickets directly on your account.
  22. Phill Hodgkinson
    Phill Hodgkinson avatar
    362 posts
    10 Nov 2004
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    The problem with PITS that makes it useless as a way to voice your opinion or to ensure bugs are being addressed is that you submit a ticket but it's up to Telerik's discretion as to whether or not it actually gets added to PITS. So if Telerik doesn't feel it's important you may never see it there or as is often the case, what I consider a bug, Telerik think's is desired behavior. So in the end how can I possibly get my issues addressed, luck?

Phill

23. Steve
    Steve avatar
    3037 posts
    03 Dec 2008
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    PITS always has been a bit of a joke really...I have had many Issues (and feature requests) submitted, acknowledged, and fixed without even entering PITS.  It's more of a WWWYTSITS (what we want you to see issue tracking system)...or SGHTTETIOHLBTS (Some guy had time to enter this issue on his lunch break tracking system)

It should work like this: https://www.dropbox.com/votebox
    Anyone can submit anything they want, and we get X votes every X period to move them up or down the priority list.
    Or at least somehow link it up to their TFS...so its not a double-entry system.

To the SF teams credit though I don't know how much say they have in what shows up there (the problem exists for just about every telerik product).
  24. Jochem Bökkers
    Jochem Bökkers avatar
    787 posts
    13 Aug 2007
    28 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    @Steve

I know, we used to do that our prev company.
    But since I'm starting fresh I have no licenses to assign (I'm holding out on buying SF4 until we're ready to deploy).
  25. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    31 Mar 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello,

I see your point about PITS, and agree that it can be much more helpful as a resource. That's why we are going to change it, and also change the process we have for the PITS issues. The end result should be - increased number of issues visible in PITS, and eventually putting all of the submitted bugs and feature requests there. Hopefully we will be able to do this in September, and our goal is to be completely transparent by the end of the year.

Perhaps this doesn't help you much at the moment, but I just wanted to share that we are thinking on all fronts so that you can get as much possible from every available resource.

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
  26. Michael
    Michael avatar
    59 posts
    02 Nov 2010
    06 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Will the bug you introduced with SP1 regarding the layouttemplatepath not working with any controls as outlined in this post be fixed in this q1 release?

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/bugs-issues/sp-1-newsview-layouttemplatepath-not-loading-template.aspx

27. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    09 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hello Michael,

Yes, this bug will be fixed with the 4.1 (Q1) release.

Regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

28. Troy Thompson
    Troy Thompson avatar
    4 posts
    03 Apr 2009
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Telerik made the reply, on the link below: 

http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-4-x/general-discussions/admin-session-timeouts-frequently.aspx#1545355

"We've removed DiscountASP.net from our hosting partners listings. We are aiming to return them with the Q1 release."

Is this still in the pipeline to remedy the issue outlined in that thread (the application pool using too much memory) in the Q1 release?
  29. Jochem Bökkers
    Jochem Bökkers avatar
    787 posts
    13 Aug 2007
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Blonde question probably but 4.0 2011 Q1 is now called v4.1? 

I probably missed an announcement, but since you're obvious having trouble numbering your new versions why not just "platform.age.fixcounter" as in 4.1.1.

We're on v4 now, it's 2011 so name that .1 (as you did) and use the third number for the progression instead of splitting it up in Q's and SP's. The next release after april, wether it's an SP or a Q release will be 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 will be the one after.

Or if that's to complicated, stick with the build numbers, platform.qrelease.build. For instance we have 4.0.1068 and 4.0.1210 and wednesday release will be 4.1.xxxx

Downside of the latter suggestion is either you're moving us to v5 next year or you're numbering doesn't match the Q-numbers no more.

--

From a developers standpoint I'd love to see the 1068/1210 build numbers in there somewhere. Those are the numbers I see in my code and the projectmanager and I know for sure that 6 months from now I'll totally don't remember version 4.0.1210 is the v4.0 SP1 released in Q1 but secretly being Q0.

J.
  30. Gabe Sumner
    Gabe Sumner avatar
    440 posts
    09 Sep 2007
    11 Apr 2011
    Link to this post
    Hey Jochem,

We struggled a bit with the naming.  Originally we wanted to synchronize with the other Telerik products.  If you look at telerik.com you'll see (Q1, Q2, etc) all over the web site.  Their build numbers look something like this:

openaccess.2010.1.314

Which means they are using this system:

assembly.year.quarter.date.buildnumber (sometimes)

However, after some internal debate we determined this would be inconsistent with the CMS industry (Sitefinity 2011 Q1 release).  More importantly, it would be inconsistent with what our customers would be expecting.  So we're using the following scheme for the upcoming releases:

Sitefinity.major-version.minor-version.buildnumber

I'm not sure what criteria we'll use for incrementing the major version.  In any event, build numbers will be part of the assemblies.

So to answer your question:

Blonde question probably but 4.0 2011 Q1 is now called v4.1?

Yes, Sitefinity 2011 Q1 (this week's release) will be called Sitefinity 4.1.

Sorry that we introduced some confusion with our forum postings on this topic.  

Gabe Sumner
    Telerik | Sitefinity CMS
92 posts, 0 answered
1 2 3 4