+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / General Discussions / Newsletter Email

Newsletter Email

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. Sean
    Sean avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    31 Oct 2008
    13 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    I have read several threads regarding issues around sending email from Sitefinity while not logged in local to the machine or not using http://localhost on the machine. I have tried all the recommendations and have yet to resolve this. I've tried deleting the dll from Assemblies and allowing it to regenerate with no success. Logged in locally to the machine using localhost I can send test mails and subscription sends with no problems.  I've upgraded to 3.7 with promises that each version would fix this. It seems to linger. I tried setting my anonymous account to a user that has administrative rights but still no success. My understanding is that the smtp functionality is using a generated virtual root url that is embedded in the generated dll. How do you suggest I resolve this situation? It has been persistent for several months. This site started at 3.5 and has now been upgraded twice to 3.7.
  2. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    Registered:
    28 Oct 2016
    14 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Sean,

    Can you share what the exact problem is? I checked your account history before replying, but this is the first thread which you open, related to the Newsletters module.

    Thank you in advance. 

    Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Sean
    Sean avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    31 Oct 2008
    14 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    I think I thorougly explained the problem but maybe I didn't. I haven't posted on it before just read lots of threads looking to correct the problem. Issue was that I could send emails when logged in locally to the machine but couldn't when browsing remotely. I do have good news though. I ended up adding the site url to my hosts file and it started working remotely. I must have glossed over that suggestion in one of the threads. So my solution was to delete the assembly  let it regenerate and add the host file entry to point to my external IP address not 127.0.0.1
  4. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    Registered:
    28 Oct 2016
    14 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Sean,

    Thank you for the follow up.
    I believe that this issue is fixed indeed. I am not sure why it is not working for you though. I hope it is good enough for you that the workaround is fixing the issue.

    Sincerely yours,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Register for webinar
4 posts, 0 answered