+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / 404 not found - redirect to homepage - ERR_TIMED_OUT

404 not found - redirect to homepage - ERR_TIMED_OUT

10 posts, 0 answered
  1. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I have a request from a client to redirect all NOT FOUND pages to their homepage.  I figured this would be easy to do, so I went in and updated the webconfig with the following:

<customErrors mode="On">
      <error redirect="~/Sitefinity/nopermissions.aspx" statusCode="403"/>
      <error redirect="~/Default.aspx" statusCode="404"/>
    </customErrors>

Now when I go to a not found page on the site I get a funny error:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.example.com/Default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/test.aspx might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this web page later.
      More information on this error
    Below is the original error message

Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

I tried this locally and it seems to work just fine, but not when I do it at the ISP in the production shared hosting environment.  It almost looks like the request gets stuck in a loop or something.  

Does anyone have an idea on what the issue could be?
  2. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I should add the homepage loads just fine.  But when I append the query string:
    ?aspxerrorpath=anything
    I get that timeout error

3. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Jason Green,

It seems that it cannot properly load the error page, most probably not resolving the path to it as it should. This is why you get in a 404 redirect loop.  Can you please try changing the path to "Default.aspx" instead of having ~/ in front of the page url?

Kind regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  4. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Radoslav,

I made the requested change but it has no affect.

I also tested more.  I don't think it has any problem getting to the site.

The issue is whenever I add ?aspxerrorpath=anything to the URL on the default.aspx the page no longer loads.  

/default.aspx                                  - works
    /default.aspx?                                - works
    /default.aspx?aspxerror=hello        -works
    /default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=hello - FAIL

5. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Jason,

By default you should have a slash before the error request

aspxerrorpath=/test.aspx

You could use FireBug to check if there are any requests to resources or scripts that could not be loaded which will result in a timeout operation.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  6. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    It doesn't matter.

Let me give you a live example:

See http://www.goldencircle.net  It is setup as a normal site with the web.config section for error handling being:
    <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly">
      <error redirect="~/Sitefinity/nopermissions.aspx" statusCode="403"/>
    </customErrors>

Now try any of these:

I am leaning toward this being a hosting issue with the ISP, but i don't really know why.
  7. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Jason,

Why do not enable custom errors for statusCode 404? Your configuration settings will be used only when there is a request to a page which denies anonymous access, but not for nodes that does not exist as a physical or dynamic pages in your websites.Custom errors element is handled and processed by ASP.NET.

Regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  8. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    19 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I did.  It did not work.

I traced it back to finding out that whenever the query string of " ?aspxerrorpath=" is appended to the default.aspx page the page no longer loads.  

9. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    01 Feb 2016
    20 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Jason Green,

Can you try navigating to a non existent page on your website (force a 404)? What is the result?

Best wishes,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
  10. Jason Green
    Jason Green avatar
    53 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    20 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    OK, I talked with the ISP and found out they have a special firewall rule that was triggering blocking the web server from loading the request.  They said:

"I have identified the issue. Your page request are being blocked by our SRX firewall because they appear similiar to a possible attack."

I am working with them to clear that up.  It appears the software is working fine and it is a server / environment issue.

Register for webinar
10 posts, 0 answered