I've been trying to run Sitefinity for some time, and it seems that problems do like me (or Vista ?). I handled the most of them myself, but a few remain and I can't do it myself.
Here is what happens:
- when I run a local project, there seems to be an error in the first-time configuration, .i.e. a database error. The error message depends on the way the project is created:
- through the wizard: "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in
retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the
user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be
closed." . I followed the steps in the troubleshooting - enabled browsing and added two exceptions to the firewall. Still the same. I tried the obvious : Control Panel->User Accounts->Configure advanced user profile properties->Chage type... . Here only "local profile" is enabled. I have no idea what this means but it seems this is what it compains about.
- manually (dowloading the empy project .zip - not the one in the project manager folder - and adding it to the IIS): "There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server:
User does not have permission to perform this action." .I don't get this either - it doesn't work even when I run the browser as administrator. It seems that Sitefinity uses the following conneciton string (copied from IIS): "Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Sitefinity.mdf", and the default one is "data source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Integrated Security=SSPI;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf;User Instance=true". I don't know what User Instance means as I haven't used it, but I will certainly look it up. I believe it is the culprit here.
- the example university site. There is something very weird about it. When I "browse" it, it displays "under construction". When I try to edit it, I get the null ref exception. The stack trace it gives me is : "
[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
Telerik.ManagerBase`1..ctor(String providerName) +21
[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Telerik.Personalization.PersonalizationManager' threw an exception.]
Sitefinity_Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +39
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627
". I checked the only .master I found, and it seemed pretty fine to me. The other suggestions in the troubleshooting guide seemed not in the point to me. What is the most weird, however, is that if I ran the project through VS, it would run just fine, an exact copy of the example site here, on sitefinity.com. As is expected, I guess. The funny thing is that it displayes the non-existent "Home.aspx" by default. And that is after an eternity of compilation.
I would very much like to actually see what sitefinity is. Thanks for your help in advance.