16 posts, 0 answered
  1. jkregala
    jkregala avatar
    159 posts
    22 Sep 2009
    13 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hey there guys!

I decided to use Custom installation for Sitefinity 3.7 because I want the Web Sites folder (where all projects will be contained) to be placed in a location OTHER than the default one (which would be under Program Files - Telerik and so on). However, upon (almost) finishing the installation, a highly irritating message box appears which indicates "Error 1001". So I press "OK" and boom! Installation rolls back.

This error never occurred when I selected default location for the said folder (or chose Complete installation).

I am very much hoping for a solution for this problem (which may be sooo simple, so stupid me). Thanks in advance!
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16065 posts
    19 Dec 2014
    13 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Jan Kenneth Regala,

Please take a look at the following resources - Sitefinity Installation: Error Creating Virtual Directory , Installation problem .

Sincerely yours,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Graham
    Graham avatar
    6 posts
    18 Sep 2006
    30 Jan 2010
    Link to this post
    Was this ever resolved?  I'm experiencing the exact same issue, and I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my IIS configuration, because the install works when I keep the default Web sites folder (but let's face it, who wants to keep CODE in their Program Files folder???).
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16065 posts
    19 Dec 2014
    30 Jan 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Graham,

The problem is related to IIS and its configuration. However the installer allows you to chose where to install the project manager in one of the first steps during the installation. You can also try using Blank project. There is no functional and code difference between Blank project and projects installed through the installer.

Kind regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  5. James-Smee
    James-Smee avatar
    2 posts
    09 Dec 2009
    08 Oct 2010
    Link to this post

6. LouiseBA
    LouiseBA avatar
    61 posts
    23 Mar 2010
    08 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi what is the resolution for this? im also trying to download 3.7 SP4 but get the error 1001 just before installation finishes and it rolls back. I dont get to specify a folder it doesnt get that far.

Louise 
  7. John Rosen Jr
    John Rosen Jr avatar
    6 posts
    18 Dec 2008
    11 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I am stuck on this as well -- Install of Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 fails -- and 1001 error....using IIS 6 on Windows 2003 Standard....

8. LouiseBA
    LouiseBA avatar
    61 posts
    23 Mar 2010
    11 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello is there anyone that can advise on this please? Its an upgrade from sitefinity 3.7. i'm using vista business and IIS 7. John has a slightly different set up. Are you supposed to leave the sitefinity 3.7 virtual directory there and SP4 runs over the top? cant find any definitive instructions for this patch. Please advise. Searching for the 1001 error doesnt help me, they all seem to relate to fresh installations.

John rosen Jr, FYI i have managed to get up and running using the 3.7 SP4 blank project, but I'd rather use the installer..

thanks, louise.
  9. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    18 Dec 2014
    11 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi LouiseBA,

There is an issue with the latest installer which we are still trying to figure out. In the mean time the workaround is to install an older version of the CMS - Sitefinity 3.7 SP3 for example and then run the Sitefinity 3.7 SP4 installer. During the install you should choose to upgrade the existing installation. Please note that this will have no effect on already existing websites - they will not be automatically upgraded. However when you create new projects they will be created with the new version of Sitefinity.

Kind regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  10. Jeff
    Jeff avatar
    124 posts
    05 Aug 2007
    14 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I got this error trying to upgrade from 3.7 SP2 to 3.7 SP4.

I uninstalled and tried reinstalling SP4. I still got error 1001.

I installed SP3 and then upgraded to SP4. I still got error 1001.

The installer didn't give me an option to upgrade. It just said that would upgrade and off it went.

Any other ideas? Can I send you some logs? IIS settings? Do you have a debug version I can run?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  11. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16065 posts
    19 Dec 2014
    14 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Jeff,

Have you tried to use Blank project  or path an existing project with SP4 hotfix/patch?

Regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  12. Jeff
    Jeff avatar
    124 posts
    05 Aug 2007
    14 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I wanted to start with a new database, so I thought upgrading via the Installer and using the Project Manager to create a new project would be the cleanest way.

But, based on your suggestion, I tried the Blank Project route. Now I don't have any users or roles.

I copied the admin user/role from my old database but it still won't let me log in. I fear there are other things I'm missing too.

How should I proceed from here? What else would the Project Manager do to initialize a new project?

Jeff
  13. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16065 posts
    19 Dec 2014
    15 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Jeff,

You can install a new project and then just add a  reference to the membership, profile and role providers through the web.config. Another option is installing the project and then migrating

• telerik_Profile
    • telerik_Roles
    • telerik_UserMetaInfo
    • telerik_Users
    • telerik_UsersInRoles

Regards,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  14. LouiseBA
    LouiseBA avatar
    61 posts
    23 Mar 2010
    15 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    hi Jeff

I followed these instructions. It creates a new blank database and sitefinity .net website/project for you .. and you set up one sitefinity user - of admin - and give it a password all in the set up.. all in all it takes no longe than about 15 minutes this way.

but would still like to know what the installer bug is and if it gets resolved ..

http://www.sitefinitywatch.com/blog/09-02-24/Installing_Sitefinity_using_Blank_Project.aspx

hope this helps, Louise.
  15. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16065 posts
    19 Dec 2014
    15 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello LouiseBA,

We investigate the issue and we think that the problem is specific the the environment or some windows update. The only think that we have changes in the project manager is the new version of InstallShield. I cannot tell you whether this is a bug in the ProjectManager, because the installation does not fail at our end. We have performed several tests and cover many scenarios, but no one produces this error.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
  16. Jeff
    Jeff avatar
    124 posts
    05 Aug 2007
    15 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I got it working. Here's what it took:

*  Import all of the tables Ivan suggested from my old database to my new one.
    *  Changes the ApplicationID column in telerik_users and telerik_roles to match the new ID in telerik_Applications (I suppose I could have changed the master applicationID to match the old database alternatively).
    *  Copying and pasting rows in SQL Management Studio leaves Boolean fields null. This was a problem in the telerik_users table.
    *  After this, I could log in. Now I encountered the next problem: The role feature is disabled in web.config by default. This thread explains how to enable it.

Thanks, Louise for the article. I tried following it first.

Unfortunately, when I browsed to cmsstartup.aspx, it redirected me to the login page. I have some theories as to why but I didn't troubleshoot it.

Thanks for all your help. I'm back in business.

Jeff
Register for webinar
16 posts, 0 answered