Moving DB from SS 2008 R2 to SS 2005 Error

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. Martin
    Martin avatar
    2 posts
    07 Jun 2010
    17 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    I've installed Satefinity community edition on my local machine using MS Web Platform installer. Then I developed my site. Now I need to deploy it on a server with SQL Server 2005. When I try to attach the mdf file from my machine to the 2005 server I get an error (posted below). Is there any way this can be done?

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Attach database failed for Server 'CSG-DEV-2003\SQLEXPRESS'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=9.00.4035.00&EvtSrc=Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ExceptionTemplates.FailedOperationExceptionText&EvtID=Attach+database+Server&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

The database 'C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\CWA\APP_DATA\SITEFINITY.MDF' cannot be opened because it is version 661. This server supports version 612 and earlier. A downgrade path is not supported.
    Could not open new database 'C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\CWA\APP_DATA\SITEFINITY.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 948)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=948&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK
  2. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    17 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Martin,

Well, unfortunately the official statement is that:
    "A downgrade path is not supported."

I suggest you using the Site Export functionality, if your web site is not very big. Export the web site, create a new web site using SQL 2005 Express, and import it back. Then, you can upload the 2005 database. 

Greetings,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Martin
    Martin avatar
    2 posts
    07 Jun 2010
    17 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Thanks Georgi. This worked amazingly well. I really appreciate your help.
  4. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    3583 posts
    28 Oct 2016
    18 Jun 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Martin,

I am glad that everything is fine.
    Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Register for webinar
4 posts, 0 answered