+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / Oracle setup

Oracle setup

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. John
    John avatar
    2 posts
    Registered:
    14 Oct 2010
    15 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Good morning.  I am trying to evaluate Sitefinity 3.7 with Oracle 9.2.0.8.  When I try to set up the database using cmsstartup.aspx, I get the error "There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out".  I get that error whether or not I use a valid database string, so I believe sitefinity is not actually reading my tnsnames file.  I have turned oracle client tracing on, and no trace file is being produced, so I don't believe sitefinity is reading my sqlnet.ora file either.  I have added Authenticated User r+x permissions to my Oracle directory and rebooted. Is there any way to debug this step?  As far as I can see, sitefinity is not logging this anywhere.

    I have no difficulty connecting to the database using ODP.net in my own web apps.

    Thanks, John
  2. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    Registered:
    01 Feb 2016
    18 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi John,

    Thank you for using our services.

    You can check the error log file in ~/App_Data/sitefinity.log. Generally we support Oracle 10+. Can you make sure that the machine you are trying to connect from does not have a firewall blocking the connection to your oracle db. Also please make sure that the Oracle Listener is running and the port that it uses is not blocked by a fire wall.

    Regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. John
    John avatar
    2 posts
    Registered:
    14 Oct 2010
    18 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Thanks for looking into this.  There wass no log file generated.  However, I have found an answer.  I have a TNS_ADMIN environment variable pointing to a shared tnsnames file on a network drive.  Removing this environment variable fixed the problem, so I surmise that sitefinity was using the environment variable, and didn't have permission to access the network drive.  ODP.net ignores the environment variable by default, and uses the local sqlnet and tnsnames.
Register for webinar
3 posts, 0 answered