+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / public search controls missing?

public search controls missing?

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. Matt
    Matt avatar
    17 posts
    Registered:
    03 Jan 2008
    26 Jun 2008
    Link to this post

    Hello all.  I'm running into an unusual problem.  I have sitefinity installed and two sites created in it, however, in the Page Edit screen on one site I don't have access to the search controls, but on the other site I do have them displayed.

    I tried to fix this by uploading conrols from DLL and selecting telerik.search.dll and telerik.search.data.dll, but it each told me "Access to the path 'C:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\NFRMPO\NFRMPO\nfrmpo\bin\Telerik.Search.Data.dll' is denied."

    I also compared the web.config for the two sites with respect to things pertaining to the search functionality.  I didn't find anything different between the two, but I could have easily missed something, I'm by no means a sitefinity web.config expert.

    Any ideas how I could get the search controls to show in the site that doesn't have them?

  2. Matt
    Matt avatar
    17 posts
    Registered:
    03 Jan 2008
    26 Jun 2008
    Link to this post

    So I'm really not sure how this happened, but the problem seems to have resolved itself, here's what I was doing at the time.

    Frustrated with the search controls not showing up I switched to a different task; updating some custom modules to use the Controls override instead of manually uploading the public controls that deal with them (using the very helpfull explanation at the bottom of http://www.sitefinity.com/support/forums/support-forum-thread/b1043S-hdmcg.aspx).  Once I had that done I built the app and launched it.  When I refreshed the edit page to get them to show up not only did the module controls show up in the toolbox, but so did the search controls (as well as the RSS controls that I hadn't noticed missing).

    Now, I know that in trying to get search to show up I refreshed that edit page more than a few times, which leads me to believe that the reason they weren't showing up in the first place was due to some error in my custom modules, most likely in the Controls overloads.  All those overloads had been was simply "return null;" instead of the default value of throwing a not implemented exception.  Could replacing that exception with null have been what ultimately caused the search to not show?  

  3. Nikola
    Nikola avatar
    51 posts
    Registered:
    24 Sep 2012
    27 Jun 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi Matt,

    I'm glad you've managed to solve the problem with missing items in your toolbox. As for the reason, we'll need more detailed information about the step performed before the items disappeared.

    If the "public override IList<IToolboxItem> Controls" method is set to return null most likely you'll get an exception rather then just missing items.

    In order to provide you with detailed info about your concern, it would probably be better to send us the code used in the described scenario and also, as mentioned earlier, a description of the steps performed.

    Greetings,
    Nikola
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Register for webinar
3 posts, 0 answered