+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Set-up & Installation / SitefinityCE on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000 DB on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

SitefinityCE on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000 DB on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. Paul Grant
    Paul Grant avatar
    2 posts
    21 Aug 2009
    25 Jan 2010
    Link to this post

I am being tasked to find a replacement solution for our company Intranet and I wanted to "test drive" Sitefinity to see if it would be a good fit.

I used the Microsoft Web Platform Installer to install Sitefinity Community Edition on my Windows Server 2003 web server (IIS6) outside the "Default Web Site". I want to run Sitefinity using an AD account.

I created a new SQL 2000 database, "SitefinityCE", on my Windows 2000 Advanced Server. The AD account has dbo permissions.

I am stuck at Step 2 in the Project Startup "Set Database". I am getting the following error message:
    "There was an error trying to connect to the Database Server: Login failed for user 'xxxx_user'." (Where xxxx_user is the AD account with dbo permissions)

I've not found Sitefinity installation and configuration instructions for my specific configuration:
    Sitefinity Web Server: Windows Server 2003 ASP.NET 3.5
    Sitefinity Database Server: MS SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

I have posted the following screenshots on one of our Internet Web Servers...
    IIS Screenshot
    http://www.svremote.com/images/sitefinity.png

Product Startup Error Message
    http://www.svremote.com/images/sitefinityce_sql_error.png

SQL Screenshot
    http://www.svremote.com/images/sitefinityce_sql_users.png

If you could provide me with specific instructions of what to look for in the configuration of IIS / SQL and permissions for the AD account, I would be greatly appreciative. I am extremely eager to showcase your product to my VP but can't get past this stumbling block.

Thanks,

P.G.

2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    25 Nov 2016
    25 Jan 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Paul Grant,

The error says that the user you use is not correct- misspelled or it does not have correct permissions to access the database. Please make sure that you use the same user. Make this user dbo and associate it with your database. The problem is related the the credentials you use and your SQL settings.

You may find the following posts useful Sitefinity watch.

All the best,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
  3. Paul Grant
    Paul Grant avatar
    2 posts
    21 Aug 2009
    25 Jan 2010
    Link to this post
    Ivan,

Thanks for the quick response. Sometimes stating the obvious can trigger a productive response. Thanks to your "insight" I decided to take a simpler approach and created a Non-AD SQL User in Enterprise Manager. This allowed me to get past Step 2 and ultimately to the Login Screen.

My next step will be to integrate Windows Authentication.

Thanks again.

P.G.
Register for webinar
3 posts, 0 answered