Before proceeding with the upgrade, we recommend that you compare your project’s web.config file to the originalC:\Program Files\telerik\Sitefinity3.0\ProjectManager\EmptyProject\web.config
Note down the changes you have made, as you will need to add those to the new project’s web.config.
1. Back up your old project and database by copying them to a different directory.
Note that the C:\Program Files\telerik\Sitefinity3.0\WebSites
folder will be deleted when you uninstall the old Sitefinity version.
2. Uninstall the old version. Make sure the whole C:\Program Files\telerik\Sitefinity3.0
folder is deleted.
3. Install the 3.0 version.
4. Create a new project with the 3.0 version.
5. Copy the old project database to the ~/App_Data folder if you are using SQL Express.
If you are using SQL Server, in the project web.config file, edit the connection string to point to the old project database. This will upgrade the database automatically when the application is started for the first time.
6. Copy all custom files from the old project to the new project. These include user controls, scrpits, images, css files, master pages, dll files, etc.
7. Use some file comparison tool and compare all files from the old Admin folder to the new ones and merge the changes.
the Telerik team