27 Nov 2008
18 Apr 2012
Link to this post
@Steve Yes I was there. It was quite good actually. Loads of opportunities to ask questions. I was a bit disappointed with the turnout. About 100 people, that's not much. I was expecting many more. If they do it again next year, I would recommend you go. The Clinic was good, sitting down with someone from Sitefinity and going through your challenges face to face is always good.
Well here are some of the minutes from my notes if you like:
- 5.1 is all about optimization mostly (2 teams in Sitefinity out of all 6) are dedicated to optimization and memory consumption. Ivan Osmak thinks they can get it down to 250MB for the lighter editions.
- There will be a checkbox list of all the modules available at install time to chose what you want installing and what you don't want installing (services too). If you want you can install something at a later point if you changed your mind.
- Document search of course coming in 5.1 which is planned for end of June / start of July.
- Thunder got a big push with all sorts of cool features, but there is a webinar coming up so won't go into details. but themes and custom widgets are a bit more fun now.
- Sharing content blocks on different master pages, and some other stuff was the "Be a hero" session at the end, which was quite useful.
- Everything else is stuff that we can play with already, only it will be improved and fixed where applicable.
The facilities and the constant refreshments was brilliant. It was just fun to see the people behind the scenes and chat with them. Overall, things are looking up I think. Of course the issue about the price was raised, without any success though. So no major features in this release coming but loads of improvements instead. A SP is planned to be released within weeks I think.
That's about all I think.