16 Jul 2013
20 Aug 2013
Link to this post
On the launch of a new site, I had the opportunity to use the new Desktop Application for Sitefinity and love it. We started with our Libraries in the database and moved them to a file store. However, I feel there are a few minor things that could be improved.
Upload file size seems to be limited to 25Meg, even though the site I am connected to has been configured to 200Meg. It would be nice if it could adjust to the site it is connected to or allow an option to increase beyond the 25Meg limit. Notification of the reason for failure if the file is large than allowed would be good ... I figured it out by trial and error.
Uploading files is simple, but I had an concern when uploading a large number of files. The icon for uploading (gear) and upload success (check) are both green, which made it a bit more difficult to identify files that were still transferring.
Also when Uploading files, there seemed to be a large number (to me) of failed uploads (it seemed to be about 1 in 20). Would it be possible for the system to retry the upload a number of times (possible set by the user)?
Uploading Libraries and included files was another area that became a challenge because there was no notification of the number of files being uploaded in the sub-Library and if any of those failed. If I navigated to the Library after completion, no failures were shown or identified in any way. Some reporting or logging should be available to correct for this.
Transferred files where the file already exists with the same name simply placed a -1, -2, etc. after the file name. There should be some option to overwrite the existing file.
Searching Files in a Library would be much easier if there was some documentation on its use. The best I could determine, I could enter the first part of a name and find all like names. I could not determine if any wildcard options are available without the documentation.
When Opening Uploaded Files, some of them simply displayed a white screen (most often with PDFs). When I went to open the file later, it seemed to work OK. If I come across any particular files that do this consistently, I will attach a version to this page.