We would like to share with you some ideas for improvements in Comments that we are discussing internally. Some of these will be included in the coming Sitefinity 6.2 release.
In short, our aim is to provide an easy way to enable Comments for Pages, Dynamic Modules, Images, and Videos, and basically everything in Sitefinity. Also, we are planning to address some popular requests from the community.
To see the wireframes, visit this link.
In more detail, the rework is planned to include,
for Sitefinity 6.2:
- A new backend section dedicated to Comments (link)
- A unified Settings page with option to set preferences per Content Types (link)
- Comments in Content Widgets Templates (view mode, detail mode)
- Comments for Dynamic Modules
- Comments for Images/Videos (frontend, backend)
- Comments for Lists (frontend)
- Comments for Pages via a Comments Widget which can be dropped to a page (link)
for Next releases:
- Option to reply to comments (link)
- Option to display comment in hierarchical view (link)
- Flagging and Voting on Comments (link)
- Ability to subscribe to comments (link)
- Comments feeds (link)
- Akismet Spam protection (link)
- Sharing Comments
Some questions to you:
- In terms of backward compatibility we were wondering if many projects use the setting “Close Comments for Old Items”. Would it be OK to discontinue it temporarily?
- How critical is it for users to be able to fill in field "website" when posting a comment? Can we hide this out of the box ?
- Are custom fields needed for comments ?
- Would it be critical if the first iteration doesn’t have granular permissions? Access to the Backend Comments can be limited but once there, users can update all comments?
We look forward to recieving your comments and questions.