Creating product types
Depending on what products you are selling, you can create different product types. Different product types have different fields. For example, a book can have author and a cooking pan can have diameter. For each type of product, in addition to default fields like price or description, you can create different custom fields. You can also use different product types to filter your products.
You manage product types on the Product types page.
To open the Product types page, in the main menu in the upper part of the screen, click Ecommerce » Types of products.
The Product types page appears, displaying a list of all created product types together with actions you can perform on them.
Use this page to create, edit, and manage product types.
Create a new product type
- On Product types page, click Create product type.
NOTE: If you are working in multilingual mode, before creating a product type, you must first choose the language in which you want to create the type. Select the language from Languages dropdown box in the right of the page.
For more information about different languages, see Languages.
- Enter the singular and the plural name of the product type.
For example, enter Book and Books.
The plural name is used in filters.
- If the product type, you are creating, contains products that must be shipped to the customer, select This type contains Shippable products checkbox.
For example, products that do not need to be shipped can be software or MP3s.
NOTE: When you create a product type that is not shippable, but downloadable, the products of this type will not have the weight field, but will have a field for attaching the files that will be downloaded, when the product is purchased.
- Click Create this product type and go define its fields.
The Product fields page appears.
- Add the required custom fields for this type of product.
For example, for product type book, you can define a custom field author.
For more information about custom fields, see Creating a new custom field » Step 3 to Step 14.
The fields that you created will appear when creating a product of this type.
Translating product type and its custom fields
When you are working in multilingual mode and you want to translate the custom fields, you have just created, perform the following:
- Before saving the custom field, select Make localizable checkbox.
- Click Administration » Settings » Labels & Maseges.
- In the right pane, click CatalogResources.
- Click Create a label.
- Enter the label in all languages that you are using.
For more information, see Backend labels.
- In Key input field, enter the name of the custom field.
This is the value that you have entered in Name input field, when you created the custom field.
- In Type dropdown, select CatalogResources.
- Click Save changes.
When you create a product of this type, for each language that you create the product in, you can enter different value in this custom field. When the user sees the product on the frontend, the custom field will have different value in different languages, but will also have different label in each language.
Editing a product type
Deleting a product type
Click the Actions link of the product type you want to delete and then click Delete.
Confirm the deletion.
NOTE: You cannot delete the General product type and you cannot delete a product type, if you have already created products of this type.