Creating a blog
- If you have multiple sites, on Blogs page select the site where you want to create blogs, using the selector in the upper-left corner of the page.
If your site uses more than one source for blogs, you must choose the source where you want to create the blog.
If you have more than one sources configured, all available sources are displayed in the toolbar, where you can select the source of your choice.
For more information, see Multiple site management.
- Perform one of the following:
- If you have not created any blogs, the system displays the following in the center of the screen:
- If you have already created one or more blogs, the system displays a list all created blogs and the following button in the toolbar of Blogs page:
- Click Create a blog.
The Create a blog page appears.
- In Title, enter the title for the blog.
- Under Default page, you select the page, in which the blog opens by default.
Click Select a page button, select a page from the sitemap, and click Done.
This page is also used when an RSS link to this blog is clicked and it is also used by Windows Live Writer to associate blog posts with a particular page.
- You can change the automatically generated URL of the blog by clicking Change button under Blog URL and entering the new URL in the input field that appears.
- To allow or forbid comments for the blog, select or deselect the Allow comments checkbox.
If you have selected the checkbox, under Who can post comments, select one of the following:
You can choose if you want an RSS feed to be generated for this blog by clicking Alternative publishing (RSS) and selecting RSS feed checkbox.
- Only registered users
If you want comments not to be publically visible until the responsible user publishes them, select Comments have to be approved before appear on the site checkbox.
If you select this checkbox, comments that are left on the website are initially saved in status Hidden.
Feeds are used to publish frequently updated information, such as blogs, news, etc. You can publish an RSS or Atom feed for the blog on the website and the users can subscribe to this feed. This way, they will receive updates of the blog without having to visit the website.
You can change the settings of the automatically generated RSS feed.
Click Change button and perform the following procedure:
If you have added any custom fields for blogs, all created fields, appear after the Alternative publishing section.
- In RSS or Atom to generate? radio button group, select the format for the feed.
- In URL name, enter a URL of the feed.
- Choose how many items to include in the feed by selecting one of the following radio buttons:
- Include the newest <number> items
In the input field, enter how many of the published items you want to display.
- Include all published items
The feed displays all items that are published.
- Choose how to display the items in the feeds by selecting one of the following:
- Title and content.
- Title and first <number> characters.
- Title only.
- To change the mapping of data fields, click Mapping Settings button.
In the window that appears, you have a list of the data fields of the feed you are creating. To these fields, you can map fields of the RSS or Atom feed.
When you are finished with the mapping of fields, click Accept changes.
- Click Done.
For more information, see Creating and editing feeds.
- You can display the RSS feed for the blog using the Feed widget.
For more information, see Configuring the Feed widget.
IMPORTANT: Some of the above fields may not be displayed when you create a blog, because they have been hidden.
For more information about creating custom fields and hiding default fields, see Adding custom fields to content items.
Click Create this blog.
The system creates the blog and takes you to create posts in this blog.
- If you want to create a blog post now, click Create a post.
For more information, see Creating a blog post.
- If you want to go back to Blogs page, without creating a post, click All blogs link at the upper-left part of the page.