Creating blog posts with Windows Live Writer
Windows Live Writer is a desktop application for publishing blog posts. You can use Windows Live Writer to create and publish blog posts in Sitefinity. It allows you to create, edit, and manage blog posts without having to login to Sitefinity and using a web browser.
PREREQUISITES: To use Live Writer with Sitefinity you must have created a blog and added the Blog posts widget to a published page. You must set the page as Default page for that blog. For more information about setting default page, see Creating a blog » Step 4.
You must also have the proper permission to create, view, and modify blogs and posts, image libraries, and classifications. For more information about permissions, see Manage permissions.
Setting up Windows Live Writer
- In Sitefinity main menu, click Administration » Settings.
- On the Basic Settings page that appears, click Advanced.
- In the tree on the left, click Blogs.
- Select AllowBlogging checkbox and click Save changes.
- Logout from Sitefinity.
- Download and install Window Live Writer.
NOTE: You do not need to install all Windows Live Essentials. You need to install only the Writer.
- Open Windows Live Writer.
If this is the first time you open it, you are asked whether you want to add a blog account.
- In What blog service to use? window, select Other services, and click Next.
- In Web address of your blog, enter the URL of the page, where your blog is published.
- Enter the credentials you use to login to Sitefinity, select Remember my password checkbox, and click Next.
If you have more than one blog, select the blog where you want to post.
Later you can setup to post in more than one blogs using Windows Live Writer.
The wizard asks you if you want to download the theme of the page containing your blog. This way you will be able to see a preview of the posts you write.
- Select the image library where images added to your post will be stored.
If there is more than one library, click the one with the name of the blog, which you have selected.
The library is automatically created in Sitefinity and images are uploaded in this library.
NOTE: During the upload, you must not be logged in Sitefinity.
- Enter a nickname for the blog and click Finish.
Your blog is saved and you can use Windows Live Writer to publish posts in it. All posts you published with Windows Live Writer are also stored in Sitefinity. You cannot use schedule posts for publishing via Windows Live Writer.
For more information about setting up and using Windows Live Writer, see Windows Live Writer Help Center.