Hi after having thoroughly gone through the alpha version I have found a few issues and had ideas for things you can change/add. Whatever you take onboard would be excellent but I understand it does have to fit in to your plans for the system as well as be possible.
Firstly to answer the info you wanted:
- How easy was the installation and initial setup?
- The setup was easy enough but as someone already stated it will be better once the Project Manager is set up.
- What was your first impression?
- My first impression about the system is the it is much more intuitive than it ever was in the past. I think that the new control box is going to make everything a lot easier to manage in terms of versions of control. I think the new system gives much more flexibility than we ever had before in terms of just setting up content regions and the users being able to add controls without having to alter the layout. I have found this to be a major flaw with the previous systems and I am happy it is sorted out.
- I like the polls that is a great new addition to the modules.
- How intuitive was the page navigation?
- The page Navigation again seems intuitive making it easier to find what you are looking for. I think the clients will find this much easier to get to things, it will certainly be better than having to flip back and forth between edit and control panel.
- I think the help files are good so far, I especially like the definitions section at the beginning which will be good for users to understand what some of the things us Techy people try and say.
Most of the other things, other people have covered in other posts.
Now on to the bugs/feature requests, in no particular order other than when I thought of them or found them.
1. On Pages -> Edit Page -> Properties -> General Properties
a. Optional friendly URLs
i. There is no option to remove URLs without cancelling.
i. Add Head Tags doesn’t do anything.
2. Modules -> News ->
a. Filters Panel is approx 10 pixels tall, this is in IE7
3. Login screen – New User Registration, is it not very secure as most hackers would try to enter through /admin for any CMS site. Or is there going to be some sort of approval process first where Admin would get notified of new user registrations?
4. I noticed that if I registered a New User then logged in I could immediately assign myself that admin role without actually having admin role.
5. Is it possible to have an option to add items in menu structure that that don’t include pages, e.g Home -> Services -> Product, where Services isn’t a page but just a way of having menu items grouped under it.
6. In IE 7 the sub menu doesn’t render properly. It overlays the content in the page.
7. The Logout button doesn’t log out
8. When editing a page it would be better if you could change the order of controls once on the page, because sometimes you will have an existing page that you have created that you may want to add an additional control before the existing control/content. Or if you want to move and existing control around you can’t
9. For a 3rd Party Control that is created would it be possible for the DefaultValue designerAttribute to work on properties as this would be very useful for certain controls to have default already set when a control is dropped onto a page.
10. Maybe consider on the Edit page having a Save button at the top and at the bottom. So you don’t have to scroll down to find it.
11. In Polls if you Add a new Question there is no way of removing it. The same goes for Add a new Answer Field
12. New user I added a new link then tried to edit some news I get a big error message, not a pretty message that is all, I understand it is just trying to tell me that I don’t have permission to edit, but it just not user friendly.
13. How is the permissions going to work with respect to content editing? Before you could give people permission to just edit content, will there be a way of allowing people to modify certain controls then, because I could
forsee that being very handy.
Of course this is only an Alpha version but it is already looking very, very promising I am looking forward to seeing the beta release. Keep up the good work. If anything I have said is unclear or you can’t replicate please let me know.