Server Error 404 - File or directory not found.

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 17:36

Server Error 404 - File or directory not found.

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi,

the face of a very mysterious problem. On the live server I uploaded the "empty project",installation was trouble-free, I entered everything needed to connect to the database.After logging in, seamlessly screen "Dashboard".

The problem occurs when I try to choose an option. I wanted to convert the basicsettings of the project, but Sitefinity I get an error message "Server Error 404 - File or directory not found.". Once I checked that the server some files are missing, everything was fine.

I changed the authorization in web.config, I forbade "Basic Authorization", did not help.

So I tried again to upload the whole project again, installation went without problemsagain, but the problem was repeated.

He met with by someone?

Am I doing something wrong?

I use version 4.0.1098.0 - Community

I will be grateful for any idea.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Patrik,

Can you please make sure that you have all the required windows features installed and running. For reference, please check this article. Most probably you have not enabled WCF.

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2011 00:00

On my local server Sitefinity works well, the problem occurs when I put the project onweb hosting.

All necessary functions supported hosting.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Feb-2011 00:00

I updated web.config, I added the handlers *.svc and *.xamlx, chech the support WCF in my hosting, Sitefinity but I still have an error 404 File or directory not Foud.

What's wrong?

Handlers have mapped as follows:

<httpHandlers>
      <add verb="*" path="*.xamlx" type="System.Xaml.Hosting.XamlHttpHandlerFactory, System.Xaml.Hosting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" validate="false"/>
      <add verb="*" path="*.svc" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpHandler, System.ServiceModel.Activation, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" validate="false"/>
    </httpHandlers>

I have this exact issue with 4.0 standard as well, here are the entries in my web.config...

<!-- CUSTOM -->
        <add name="svc-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" path="*.svc" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode" />
        <add name="xamlx-ISAPI-4.0_64bit" path="*.xamlx" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode" />
        <add name="svc-Integrated-4.0" verb="*" path="*.svc" type="System.ServiceModel.Activation.HttpHandler, System.ServiceModel.Activation, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" />
        <add name="xamlx-Integrated-4.0" verb="*" path="*.xamlx" type="System.Xaml.Hosting.XamlHttpHandlerFactory, System.Xaml.Hosting, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" preCondition="integratedMode" />
      <!-- END CUSTOM -->

One more clarification, after the update (as amended) the "web.config" file, it loads the "Advanced Settings", if I want to save the settings Sitefinity reporting a Error 404, the same thing happens when you try to create a new template,  upload the server file "template.master", upload takes place ok.

When I go on, eg. save and return to a page with templates, action ends with Error 404 File or Directory not Found.

By mistake my end all attempts at any change in the Sitefinity CMS improsed on Web hosting. On the local PC everithing works without any problems.

I'm already desperate and the customer is furious as a bull (Im waiting, when ity comes to office :-) ).

The only thing that calms me how tal are songs from Metallica :).

Please, please and please help.

I'm in the same boat my friend, site is totally useless on an editing front

The ONLY thing I can suggest to you so they can at least move forward with editing, is to host it off your machine for now pointing to the webhosts DB...that seems to work for me, but it's slow....

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2011 00:00

I got the same issue and found the solution finally by tracing the root of this issue.

Problem's Root:
This problem occurs because no verbs are added to the <verbs> section in the applicationHost.config file. Additionally, the allowUnlisted property of the <verbs> section is set to false. This setting denies all the requests that add verbs that are listed in the <handlers> section. The <handlers> section is under the <system.webServer> node in the applicationHost.config file.

Following are the steps to resolve this issue:

1. In a text editor, open the ApplicationHost.config file.
2. The ApplicationHost.config file is in the following folder:

%SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\config (usually on c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config)
3. Locate the <verbs allowUnlisted="false" /> tag.
4. Change this tag to <verbs allowUnlisted="true" />.

Cheers!

If you do not want to allow all the unlisted verbs for security reasons, you can explicitly add these verbs. For example, you can replace the <verbs allowUnlisted="false" /> tag with the following code:
<verbs  allowUnlisted="false">
    <add verb="GET" allowed="true" />
</verbs>

Sadly...that did not seem to fix me up :/

They do not really know what to do, so I managed to run a functional website build on Sitefinity.

The original files ApplicationHost.config value is determined as follows:

< slovesa allowUnlisted = "true" applyToWebDAV = "true" />

Does anyone have any idea what could cause a malfuction?

Thanks.

I'm at a loss too...I have a ticket in, no followup yet on it

This host will literally make any change I want, but I just have no idea what to tell them to do

It seems that you got this issue in different situation. I got this issue in Windows Server 2008 Standard, when I tried to do any operation through CMS backend (i.e. Image Upload, add content editor in page etc).

Check the web server logs to find out helpful description for this issue related. Try to replicate the issue on Server's browser instead of remote location; you might get some more information there.

Unfortunately, the alert message "Server Error 404 - File or directory not found." is not descriptive. I was getting this message only when I accessed the CMS from Internet; but when I accessed it locally on Web Server, it showed me the "404.6 HTTP - verb denied" error and that helped me a lot to find the actual issue.

Regards.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Mar-2011 00:00

The error message "Server Error 404 - File or directory not found" popping up in the back end of Sitefinity might be due to the website being run in a Medium Trust environment. Changing the environment to Full Trust should resolve the issue.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Guys,
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a configuration issue in URLscan. In the URLscan logs I had the following:

Client at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: URL contains '.' in the path. Request will be rejected.  Site Instance='1673214664', Raw URL='/Sitefinity/Services/Security/Users.svc/'

After reconfiguring URLscan correctly everything worked.

Hope this helps
thanks
Richard

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2011 00:00

@Richard Turner

"After reconfiguring URLscan correctly everything worked."

I'm curious, what change did you make to your URLscan configuration? I was having this same issue and just discovered today that URLscan was causing this. I changed RejectResponseUrl= to RejectResponseUrl=/~* in the urlscan.ini file, setting that feature to logging only mode, which fixes the SiteFinity 404 issue, but I'd rather set a specific rule to explicitly allow whatever SiteFinity function is being blocked, instead of just disabling that security function in URLscan.

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Adam,

The changes I made were "AllowDotInPath=1", also made sure "[AllowVerbs]" contained GET, HEAD, POST & PUT.

thanks

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Apr-2011 00:00

Once again another life saver...on IIS6 I had to do this and added the "." setting and adding the Put verb

Thanks again fellas for this...Sitefinity really needs to document this.

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi,

Can you please elaborate on your posted fix to the 404 problem?  is the AllowDotInPath=1 a string to add to the web.config file.  Also where do i place the HEAD GET POST PUT in "allowedVerbs".

Apologies for being a bit dense, still learning this stuff.  

Cheers
Jason

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Sep-2011 00:00

This is in the c:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\urlscan\URLScan.ini file (this particular fix applies only if you are using the URLScan plugin for IIS). Here is some documentation on that INI file:
technet.microsoft.com/.../cc751376.aspx

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

thanks for the reply Adam.  That might work well if it were local but unfortunately my site is on the web server and therefore i do not have a windows/system32 directory to search in.  Any help for a web based solution?

Thanks
Jason

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Sep-2011 00:00

If you don't have remote server access your web host would need to make the change. Are you sure it's related to URLscan and not just a genuine 404 missing page? Did your host tell you they installed this plugin?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2012 00:00

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post a simpler solution that happened to work for us.

We are port-forwarding requests from the internet to an internal server hosting a Sitefinity 4.3 instance. We were having the same issue with the workflow service calls. Our internal website is on a dedicated server (a virtual machine) and is bound to all IPs for the server (not to a specific domain). The internal site is a virtual application in the Default Web Site.

We were able to fix the issue by adding an entry in our hosts file for the external domain name used to access the site, pointing to the localhost IP.

Example hosts file entry:

127.0.0.1   external.domain.com

This was enough to trick Sitefinity into working for us. Hope it helps somebody else.

-John

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Mar-2012 00:00

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post a simpler solution that happened to work for us.

We are port-forwarding requests from the internet to an internal server hosting a Sitefinity 4.3 instance. We were having the same issue with the workflow service calls. Our internal website is on a dedicated server (a virtual machine) and is bound to all IPs for the server (not to a specific domain). The internal site is a virtual application in the Default Web Site.

We were able to fix the issue by adding an entry in our hosts file for the external domain name used to access the site, pointing to the localhost IP.

Example hosts file entry:

127.0.0.1   external.domain.com

This was enough to trick Sitefinity into working for us. Hope it helps somebody else.

-John

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2015 00:00

How did you enable full trust mode?

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2015 00:00

@Anton Hristov, How did you enable full trust?  Do you mean on the app_data folder?  iis setting?

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jul-2015 00:00

Hi,

You can check the following msdn article about the asp.net trust levels.

Furthermore you can check our documentation article about configuring IIS to host Sitefinity projects. Please go though the settings and compare them to your local settings.

Regards,
Velizar Bishurov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed