More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / System.NullReferenceException when basing template from masterpage file in filesystem to another template

System.NullReferenceException when basing template from masterpage file in filesystem to another template

2 posts, 0 answered
  1. Richard
    Richard avatar
    103 posts
    04 Apr 2013
    25 Sep 2014
    Link to this post

    I'm having an issue with a site that I have upgraded from 3.7 sp4 to 6.3.5000. 

    I've got a 'standard.master' that was a template imported from a 3.7 sp4 project. The 'standard.master' file is also based off of a 'base.master'. 

    What I'm doing is trying to base a template which is originally based off standard, to another template based off standard. My template section loads properly, and pretty much functions ok except when trying to do the 'base of template' function. I haven't fully cleaned the files so I'm guessing I got a bit to do.

    Anything I should consider?

    Error log stack trace

     Message: HandlingInstanceID: 354cb7a3-94e0-4177-8e91-51316a74924c
    An exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred and was caught.
    09/25/2014 17:18:23
    Type : System.NullReferenceException, mscorlib, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
    Message : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Source : Telerik.Sitefinity
    Help link : 
    Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
    TargetSite : TDraft GetTemp(TDraft)
    HResult : -2147467261
    Stack Trace :    at Telerik.Sitefinity.Lifecycle.LifecycleDecorator`2.GetTemp(TDraft draftItem)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Lifecycle.LifecycleDecorator`2.CheckOut(TDraft masterItem, CultureInfo culture)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.ChangeTemplateInternal(String templateId, String newTemplateId)
       at Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.Services.PageTemplatesService.ChangeTemplate(String templateId, String newTemplateId)
       at SyncInvokeChangeTemplate(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage41(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage31(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage11(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)

    Additional Info:

    MachineName : M1730
    TimeStamp : 9/25/2014 9:18:23 PM
    FullName : Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=6.3.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
    AppDomainName : bf4e19f0-1-130561533731843553
    ThreadIdentity : 
    WindowsIdentity : SMDHU\crezsonya
    Requested URL : http://localhost:52153/Sitefinity/Services/Pages/PageTemplatesService.svc/changeTemplate/f08c0fca-934f-4e9e-8af0-6ed6946d928b/?newTemplateId=9d70b0b0-da78-43cc-ab93-5c582db77b2e

    Category: ErrorLog

    Priority: 0

    EventId: 90000

    Severity: Error

    Title:Enterprise Library Exception Handling

    Machine: M1730

    App Domain: bf4e19f0-1-130561533731843553

    ProcessId: 8968

    Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\11.0\WebDev.WebServer40.exe

    Thread Name: 

    Win32 ThreadId:7256

    Extended Properties: 

  2. Richard
    Richard avatar
    103 posts
    04 Apr 2013
    25 Sep 2014
    Link to this post

    So it was exactly that. The templates I was attempting to 'rebase' had controls/widgets that weren't found... so I removed the widgets not found and the 'rebasing' the template worked.

2 posts, 0 answered