Blog Categories

3 posts, 1 answered
  1. Devin
    Devin avatar
    149 posts
    09 Jun 2009
    09 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi I'm developing a site with three blogs and I want to display a list of categories for each blog.  I've figured out how to grab all categories for all blogs and I'm trying to figure out how to grab the categories for a specific blog.  Here's my code:

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) 
        { 
            if (!Page.IsPostBack && SelectedBlogs != null
            { 
                Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager contentManager = new ContentManager("Blogs");             
                IList listOfCategories = contentManager.GetCategories(); 
                rptCategories.DataSource = listOfCategories; 
                rptCategories.DataBind(); 
            } 
        } 

protected void rptCategories_ItemDataBound(object sender, RepeaterItemEventArgs e) 
        { 
            if (e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.Item || e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.AlternatingItem) 
            { 
                Telerik.Cms.Engine.ContentManager contentManager = new ContentManager("Blogs"); 
                Literal litLink = (Literal)e.Item.FindControl("litLink"); 
                ICategory category = ((Telerik.Cms.Engine.ICategory)e.Item.DataItem); 
                litLink.Text = "<a href=\"?BlogCatID=" + category.ID.ToString() + "\">" + category.CategoryName + "</a> (" + category.ContentCount + ")"
            } 
        } 

Thanks in advance!
  2. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    12 Sep 2017
    09 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi Devin,

I'm trying to figure out how to grab the categories for a specific blog.

Categories are metadata. They are associated with content items, not with blogs. You can get all categories for a given provider as you have done or get the category from IContent object.

// GETS CATEGORY FOR A PROVIDER
    var bManager = new BlogManager("Blogs");
    Telerik.Cms.Engine.ICategory getCategoryForPRovider = bManager.Content.GetCategory("TestCategory");
    // EACH CATEGORY IS A METADATA IT IS NOT RELEATED TO THE BLOG - IBLOG OBJECT
    IContent cnt;
    string categoryName = cnt.GetMetaData("Category").ToString();

For getting a list of Items that are categorized with a specific category you can use MetaSearchInfo filter or better ContentFilterBuilder. I hope this helps.

Greetings,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
    Answered
  3. Devin
    Devin avatar
    149 posts
    09 Jun 2009
    09 Oct 2009
    Link to this post
    That did it!  Thanks loads Ivan.
Register for webinar
3 posts, 1 answered