30 Jul 2008
02 Mar 2012
Link to this post
Hmmm... There seem to be some contradicting information here. Here's what I was able to produce:
1. Make sure Workflow is turned on for Blogs
2. Make sure you have a page with BlogPosts control and publish it
3. Make sure you have some blog posts that have been published already.
3. In Blogs module, create a new blog post. Call it Test123. Add some text. Save it, but don't publish it yet.
4. Navigate to the public view of the page containing the BlogPosts control. You won't see the "Test123" post because it hasn't been published yet. Makes sense. But click on one of the other blog posts to view it in single-item view.
5. Take a note of the URL structure (obviously, this can be different for you as it is customizable in web.config). Change the date in the URL to the date of Test123's post and change the title to "Test123.aspx."
6. Hit Enter, and viola! It displays the Test123 post which is really a "draft" and hasn't been published yet.
So I thought, if this works for all saved-but-not-published posts, then all I have to do is find a way to construct the URL and send people there. This is effectively "preview" is it not? Is that a bug? :-)
However, this only works for blog posts that have not been published yet. For example, if you edit one of the previously PUBLISHED blog posts, save it, and visit its single-item view in the frontend, you will only see the previously published version. Of course, that makes sense, because the whole point of having unpublished drafts is that the public won't see it.
So anyways... it's probably not worth developing a solution for this in 3.7, because we will eventually upgrade... But I thought I'd entertain the idea, and if it was something simple, I'd do it. Otherwise, wait for the Migration tool to mature so we can finally move to 4 or 5, but that's another topic. :-)