More in this section

Forums / Developing with Sitefinity / Search Index Doesnt work on Non-IP URLs

Search Index Doesnt work on Non-IP URLs

7 posts, 0 answered
  1. Chris Breymeyer
    Chris Breymeyer avatar
    21 posts
    Registered:
    16 Nov 2007
    15 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    Some background...

    We started with SF v3.1 building a corporate website in our Dev environment, then promoted thru QA, then UAT and finally Prod. The search index NEVER worked on Prod (which was a fully qualified domain name, ex. www.site.com). Yet in DEV and QA which were internal IPs it worked and UAT was an external subdomain it worked (ex. uat.site.com). When we promoted to Prod (ex. www.site.com) the search index just doesnt work.

    We went back and forth with Support and even sent the project and database several times to only receive a response that upgrading to SF v3.2 will fix the problem.

    We left that issue alone for now then we started a fresh new project using SF v3.2 (Standard) and continued to have the same problem, indexing in IP based UAT or lower environments work just fine, but never works at the final and most important environment (Prod).

    We even tried various theories:
    Logging into Prod's internal IP, then run the search index, this works, but the problem is... when you visit Prod thru a fully qualified domain (ex. www.site.com), perform a search, the linked results are internally IP-based thus clicking on that link will result in a 404 page not found error.

    We really need the search engine but it is yielding useless in two important applications we are running. Please help!
  2. Nikola
    Nikola avatar
    51 posts
    Registered:
    24 Sep 2012
    16 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi John Reynolds,

    So the Indexer works fine, except for links generated in the results. Is that correct?
    Also, is the website accessible over the web so we visit it and look at the Search Results ourselves?

    All the best,
    Nikola
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  3. Chris Breymeyer
    Chris Breymeyer avatar
    21 posts
    Registered:
    16 Nov 2007
    16 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    The indexer does NOT work when moved to production.  Currently a search will not produce any results in our production environment.  http://www.axa-assistance-usa.com I have already sent the entire project to your support team.  They could recreate the issue but only said that upgrading to 3.2 would fix the issue.
  4. Nikola
    Nikola avatar
    51 posts
    Registered:
    24 Sep 2012
    17 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    Hello John Reynolds,

    We'll investigate your project and let you know about the results.
    The link http://www.axa-assistance-usa.com/files/projectanddatabase.rar that you've sent in the previous post seems to be broken, so could you please post a new one so we can download your latest project.

    Best wishes,
    Nikola
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  5. Chris Breymeyer
    Chris Breymeyer avatar
    21 posts
    Registered:
    16 Nov 2007
    21 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    Thank you for the time you have commited to taking another look at our project.  I'm sure it has to be an issue on our side, since we are seeing a consistent issue when moving sitefinity to a domain name.  Have others not had the same issue?

    I have re-posted the project and database http://www.axa-assistance-usa.com/files/projectanddatabase.rar

    Thanks again!
  6. Nikola
    Nikola avatar
    51 posts
    Registered:
    24 Sep 2012
    22 Jul 2008
    Link to this post
    Hello John Reynolds,

    Thank you for your cooperation.
    We will examine your project and provide you with feedback shortly.

    Regards,
    Nikola
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
  7. Nikola
    Nikola avatar
    51 posts
    Registered:
    24 Sep 2012
    06 Aug 2008
    Link to this post
    Hi John Reynolds,

    Please accept our apologies for the delayed response.
    We've managed to configure and run your project on a local developer machine.

    In the versions prior to 3.2 SP2, the search indexing service was gathering the URLs of the pages to be indexed and then performed a webrequest for each url.

    With the 3.2 SP2 release, a lot of improvements in the indexing service were introduced. And the internal pages are no longer being indexed via webrequests. Because you're using Sitefinity 3.1 SP1 (3.1.1458.2) the new PageIndexProvider could not be used as it references some new objects and also uses some new methods.
    This basically leaves us with no option for workaround, like extending or overriding some of the classes, as they carry a lot of differences.

    We can assist you in the upgrade process, in case you decide to go for this.

    Greetings,
    Nikola
    the Telerik team

    Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Register for webinar
7 posts, 0 answered