More in this section
Forums / Migrating from 3.x to the latest Sitefinity version / Troubles migrating from 3.7 SP4...

Troubles migrating from 3.7 SP4...

The forums are in read-only mode. In case that you want to directly contact the Progress Sitefinity team use the support center. In our Google Plus group you can find more than one thousand Sitefinity developers discussing different topics. For the Stack Overflow threads don’t forget to use the “Sitefinity” tag.
4 posts, 0 answered
  1. lgroup
    lgroup avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    28 Dec 2006
    08 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    I've got my 3.7SP4 site and a fresh 5.0 site running on Windows 7 IIS, both as root sites.  I've set up the migration service files.  Now I'm at the point of running the migration.

    When I enter my URL, username, password, and then click the "Test Connection" button I get this error:

    Connection to 3.7 project has failed: Authentication failed.

    I read a post that says something to the effect that this error is expected and migration will still work.  I verified that is the only error appearing in the logs.  However...

    If I click the "Check items count" or "Begin Migration" buttons I get this error:

    The remote server returned an error: (403) Forbidden.

    I've tried the migration with both 4.4 and 5.0 with the same problems.  I've since uninstalled 4.4 and am only trying with 5.0.

    I am unable to get past this point.  What might I be missing? 
  2. lgroup
    lgroup avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    28 Dec 2006
    08 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Also, I get those error messages no matter what username/password I use.  No difference if I use valid ones or not.
  3. lgroup
    lgroup avatar
    7 posts
    Registered:
    28 Dec 2006
    08 Mar 2012
    Link to this post
    Fixed!!

    I noticed in the telerik_Users table the FailedPassAttemptCount column was incrementing for each time I attempt to test the connection from the 5.0 site.  I was positive the username/password were correct.   So on a whim I changed the password in the 3.7 site and presto, it works now!

    I think it has something to do with the actual password.  My original password was randomly generated as:   TByiz}b_#};hs+      I changed it to something "simple" like xxxxxx. and that did the trick.

    I spent DAYS trying to solve this problem.   I hope this helps someone else.

  4. Menderes
    Menderes avatar
    1 posts
    Registered:
    02 Apr 2012
    20 Sep 2013 in reply to lgroup
    Link to this post
    @lgroup, even your post is from 2012, thank you! Changing the password of the admin user helped me also fix this issue.
4 posts, 0 answered