16 Jan 2013
Link to this post
01 Feb 2013
in reply to
Hi Patrick - thanks again for the info. I don't think it's a SQL Server or SQLExpress issue - I can do most everything else in the Sitefinity backend that end up interacting with the DB without any issues. I'm using SQLServer that's running on my local machine, Windows authentication. That part seems to look fine.
Here's what I have found in the interim to work every time: if I avoid initiating either VS2012 or the Sitefinity app from the SF Project Manager, my problems go away.
I start up VS by going into the directory where the project is, and then I click on SitefinityWebApp.sln, which brings up VS. I then run the project (without debug) from VS - the SF website comes up in a browser, and then I add /Sitefinity onto the URL to login to the backend. Once logged in, I go back to VS, run View in Browser on the .aspx page for the custom content block, and it succeeds. Every time.
It seems that there is something going on with the SF Project Manager, VS, and the SF backend that creates a situation where there might be multiple "users" trying to access the project, or different Cassini port #'s, or whatever. In any case, removing the SF Project Manager from the equation let's me work with the externally-defined custom content blocks, and I'd assume, any of the other custom elements (News, Blogs, Events, etc.).