+1-888-365-2779
Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / Script Manager Ambiguity

Script Manager Ambiguity

5 posts, 1 answered
  1. Trevor
    Trevor avatar
    18 posts
    Registered:
    05 Oct 2010
    28 Oct 2010
    Link to this post

    Hey guys,

    When I setup a new site that uses a template I created (has custom controls as well) I get the following error right after inputting the database credentials on set up.

    The type 'System.Web.UI.ScriptManager' is ambiguous: it could come from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\1.0.61025.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll' or from assembly 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Extensions\3.5.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\System.Web.Extensions.dll'. Please specify the assembly explicitly in the type name.


    It says it's referencing my WINDOWS\assembly .dll but when the site is set up there's a System.Web.Extensions.dll that is created in the \bin folder of the website and when it is taken out, this issue is resolved. Is there a way around this? It is not ideal to have to take out a .dll file from the bin half way through the set up of every web site.

    Thanks,
    Trev

  2. Radoslav Georgiev
    Radoslav Georgiev avatar
    3370 posts
    Registered:
    01 Feb 2016
    28 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hi Trevor,

    The problem is that your GAC contains more than one version of the System.Web.Extensions.dll. The assemblies located in the GAC take precedence over local files. So it is looking in the GAC first for assemblies and then in the local bin folder. Can you try this behavior if you do not have the .NET v1.0 System.Web.Extensions assembly in GAC?

    Regards,
    Radoslav Georgiev
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Trevor
    Trevor avatar
    18 posts
    Registered:
    05 Oct 2010
    28 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    I can't seem to remove it as other apps rely on it, but that still doesn't add up. When I take the System.Web.Extensions.dll out of the website's bin (which is v1.0.6.1025), without doing anything to the GAC, it works... so... why would the GAC affect this?
  4. Ivan Dimitrov
    Ivan Dimitrov avatar
    16072 posts
    Registered:
    25 Nov 2016
    28 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Hello Trevor,

    Take a look at the posts below



    Sincerely yours,
    Ivan Dimitrov
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
    Answered
  5. Trevor
    Trevor avatar
    18 posts
    Registered:
    05 Oct 2010
    28 Oct 2010
    Link to this post
    Thanks for the help, the first link had the solution. I had actually stumbled on that link as well previous to posting here, but that snippit of code:
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Extensions" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
    I had thrown into the sitefinity web.config and not the website's web.config. Putting it into the website's web.config fixed this.

    Thanks again,
    Trev
Register for webinar
5 posts, 1 answered