Try Now
More in this section

Forums / Bugs & Issues / Slow Startup after restart

Slow Startup after restart

4 posts, 0 answered
  1. IT
    IT avatar
    52 posts
    30 Sep 2008
    18 May 2009
    Link to this post
    We've had our Sitefinity install running on our production web server in parallel with our current site for a couple of months now.  I've noticed that the site seems to take a long time to reload after a web.config change or IISReset. It is running in its own app pool on a high end web server.  Still, it seems like it can take 30-45 seconds for the page to load when it restarts. It doesn't matter if the first page loaded is the website or the admin site - it's just the application in general it seems. When it happens the server is not under a large load and plenty of processor and memory are available.

    I followed the recommendations that were posted in another article here to turn off debugging and so forth, so I don't believe it has to do with that.  I'm a little nervous that if the application recycles when we go into production we could see some downtime and a lot of requests backing up (we get 5-10K hits/day).

    Is it normal for this kind of startup time?

  2. SelAromDotNet
    SelAromDotNet avatar
    912 posts
    18 Jul 2012
    18 May 2009
    Link to this post
    I experienced this exact issue recently, nearly lost my mind trying to identify it! we upgraded our sitefinity to the latest 3.6sp1 hotfix (from just the sp1) and suddenly whenever we modified web.config or restarted the application it would hang for up to like 10 minutes! (before, app start times maxed out at maybe 10 seconds)

    it wouldn't time out, it would eventually load, and after that all further requests were immediate, until the app restarted again, taking another 10-15 minutes... very strange but at the same time, infuriating.

    unfortunately, I never figured out WHY it happened...

    however, the problem did go away after reapplying the hotfix. we just downloaded the patch and copied everything over again, making sure to include all changes in web.config, app.browsers, etc...

    which is what we did the first time, but for whatever reason, after doing this, it now works as normal!

    I don't know if this applies to you, but I hope this was helpful...
  3. Evgeny Vdovin
    Evgeny Vdovin avatar
    11 posts
    05 May 2006
    19 May 2009
    Link to this post
    I have exactly the same issue. I will try to copy everything again tonight will see if this will help, but I am sure that I did copy everything last time I did run utility to compare folder and file after I did copy and it did tell me that content of folders and files are the same. Any way will try again.

    Thanks for the advise
  4. Vlad
    Vlad avatar
    498 posts
    15 Jul 2016
    21 May 2009
    Link to this post
    Hi guys,

    The problem could be related to this forum thread.
    I am suggesting to upgrade to the latest Sitefinity 3.6 SP2. The upgrade from any 3.6 release does not require any additional efforts – it is just replacing the binary files in the bin folder.

    Please let us know if the problem still exists after the upgrade.

    We are sorry for the inconvenience.

    Kind regards,
    the Telerik team

    Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
    Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Register for webinar
4 posts, 0 answered