2 posts, 0 answered
  1. Patrick
    Patrick avatar
    4 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    29 Mar 2010
    Link to this post

Hi,

I'm trying to get the SMTP part of the newsletters module working, but unfortunately no luck yet.
    First of all the dll: 3889AC4AF542BAC3C62ABB154E78FEA8.dll never gets created on the hosting site.
    I gave the NETWORK SERVICE full control permission on the ServiceAssemblies folder but this does not help.
    Without the DLL present the following error is thrown when accessing the newsletters module:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.]
       System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() +5314029
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WsdlHelper.GetWsdlFromUri(String uri, Cookie authCookie) +121
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WsdlHelper.GetWsdl(String source, Cookie authCoocke) +75
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy.BuildProxy() +33
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy..ctor(String wsdlLocation, Cookie authCookie) +146
       Telerik.Notifications.Services.MailingServiceProxy..ctor(String wsdlUri) +312
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.WebControl.Admin.ControlPanel.CreateChildControls() +139
       System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +87
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +44
       System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +842

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3607; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

I copied the DLL from my local machine to the machine which should become production and I can access the newsletters module.
    Hitting the "test and save current settings" within the SMTP server settings produces:

Server Error in '/' Application.

The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.]
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy.InvokeWebMethodCall(Boolean async) +340
       Telerik.WebServices.DynamicProxy.WebServiceDynamicProxy.InvokeWebMethodCall() +7
       Telerik.Notifications.Services.MailingServiceProxy.VerifySMTPSetting(String smtpHost, Int32 smtpPort, String smtpUsername, String smtpPassword, Boolean smtpSsL, String msgBody) +145
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.WebControl.SMTPSettingControl.TestCurrentSettings() +372
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.WebControl.SMTPSettingControl.SaveCurrentSetting() +18
       Telerik.Notifications.Newsletters.WebControl.SMTPSettingControl.button_Command(Object sender, CommandEventArgs e) +292
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +108
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +135
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +175
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3607; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

Facts:
    1) 3889AC4AF542BAC3C62ABB154E78FEA8.dll does NOT get created automatically
    2) Copying the 3889AC4AF542BAC3C62ABB154E78FEA8.dll  from local machine to production machine does not solve the issue.
    3) The site is running under FULL TRUST
    4) The NETWORK SERVICE has been granted FULL CONTROL permission on the ServiceAssemblies and App_Data folders.

Please HELP.... What to do next????
  2. Patrick
    Patrick avatar
    4 posts
    18 Sep 2009
    29 Mar 2010
    Link to this post
    Before posting my question, I've spent several hours trying to find the solution.
    Here is the solution to my problem, hoping others don't have to go trough the same hassle!

The webserver giving trouble was setup to have multiple internal IP address and then using Network Address Translation (NAT) one of these addresses was then translated to a public IP which was facing the internet.

On the webserver the website was set up to listen for host headers on the inside addresses (non-public).

REMEDY:
    1) Change the website to listen to ALL UNASSIGNED ip addresses
    2) Change the host headers (under advanced) to "Default" (thus removing any reference to the local NATTED address if any).

And voila..! SMTP emailing works!
    The DLL is also created automatically now when it's removed from the ServiceAssemblies folder.

Sharing this info to help others might be useful I thought.

Cheers!
2 posts, 0 answered