500.21 Error for PUT web service calls in Admin

2 posts, 0 answered
  1. LBrinley
    LBrinley avatar
    59 posts
    29 Dec 2005
    13 Jun 2012
    Link to this post
    We just moved our website from its dev subdomain to the "live" url on the same Windows 2008 R2 64-bit server with IIS 7.5. Although the public portions of the site function as expected, we now receive the following error message whenever we PUT to a web service in the Sitefinity admin--essentially any attempt to use the admin to update a page, content item, rss or search index, etc. Needless to say, these issues did NOT occur on the dev subdomain on this same server.

ERROR 500.21
    Handler "svc-Integrated-4.0" has a bad module "ManagedPipelineHandler" in its module list

Having Googled the 500.21 and the above message, I have already used aspnet_regiis -i to rebuild ASP.NET 4.0.30319 and "repaired" ASP.NET 4 on this server without success. I've also added a machine key to the web.config without success. I've also checked and rechecked IIS settings, permissions, etc.

Since this site's admin worked fine on the dev subdomain, I'm at a loss.  Any suggestions?

UPDATE: For those interested, the solution to this issue was to simply create a new web site within IIS 7.5 on this server. Although the settings, files, etc. for the new site are identical to the original--we copied them--the new site works without issue.  I suppose this is the "clean" installation path that has appeared on many other threads.  Don't know why it was necessary, but it works.
    THNTEC avatar
    1 posts
    04 Nov 2010
    07 Aug 2012
    Link to this post

Your <handler> section is probably invalid.

HTTP Error 500.21 - Internal Server Error

Handler "<HANDLER_NAME>" has a bad module "ManagedPipelineHandler" in its module list

You probably have a handler mapping that does not have the correct precondition.  

IIS is not forgiving in regard to typos, and preconditions are case-sensitive.  

The text must be preCondition=”integratedMode” or preCondition=”classicMode”.

1) Check this post for more information: 

2) Also, set the preCondition mode of your IsapiModule:

<add name="WildCard" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness64" />

<add name="WildCard32" path="*" verb="*" modules="IsapiModule" scriptProcessor="%windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_isapi.dll" resourceType="Unspecified" requireAccess="None" preCondition="classicMode,runtimeVersionv4.0,bitness32" />  

2 posts, 0 answered